Problems with Garmin Connect and 500

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Anyone else having troubles getting Garmin Connect (or even their PC) to detect their Garmin device?

My 500 has worked perfectly for best part of a year, it still does as a stand alone device, but for reasons unknown I can't get it to talk to my PC. Connect with a USB cable, the 500 beeps, and starts charging, but it remains invisible to the PC and to Garmin Connect. So I can't download my activities.

I've tried different cables, different USB ports, several PCs, no difference. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Garmin Communicator Plug-In, no different. The device doesn't show up in Windows "Computer'. I've tried a 'Hard" reset of the device. Nowt. I've run out of ideas.

Anyone else having problems? Any clues?

Thanks.

PS found out that it still works properly on my Macbook.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Does the 500 have a microSD card in it like the 800 does? If so hook up the 500 to your macbook and copy the rides from the Garmin to the memory card and set the 500 to save rides to the memory card. Not a cure to your problem but a solution.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Had this issue a number of times with varying devices. It's a driver issue.

Plug in the device. While Garmin Connect won't see it, the computer can (through the Windows device manager). Simply delete the device. Once you've done that plug it back in. This should detect the new hardware and reinstall. After that you should have no problems! :)
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'll try again later, but fairly certain Windows doesn't see the device. I'll report back. Cheers.
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Can I refer you to this......
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12831255
    There must be some sort of software glitch that Garmin are aware of, but choosing to do nothing about so we end up paying for a replacement or upgrading.
    I'm now bombarding them with emails, letters and phone calls and we'll see who gives in first.
    Probably me.