Box Hill challenge 2013

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
Following on from 2 years ago viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12751859 and original post in 2010 viewtopic.php?t=12674438 I thought we could start another Box Hill challenge. Being two years on, I'm expecting better results from previous riders who have already attempted this due to an increase in fitness levels and the newly laid tarmac on Zig Zag road :D

Guidelines stolen from the original post:

1. Please add your post to the previous list and try to make sure you use the most recent list so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, emboldened for easy viewing.
2. Avoid drafting cars or other cyclists.
3. Your entry should include your time and month the attempt was made. Feel free to add your weight and the type of rider you are (1st Cat, Sportive, Fitness etc). I've added a column where you can add your watts, watts/kg, HR or whatever - I'm a total luddite so haven't a clue what all that means
4. At the bottom of your post add any comments about your attempt - the weather, your appreciation of the smooth road to the summit, what you ate at the café at the top etc.

A quick reminder - The start is the turning into the Zig Zag Road and the finish is the entrance to the National Trust car park opposite the tea room at the top.
Box Hill Stats: 2.5kms, 133metres vertical gain, average gradient 5.3%

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=39554

Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR...........................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
Gabbo..........................84kg.........7.35......Feb......Fitness....................... -

Set this time in mid-feb, the time we had a sunny spell with the weather reaching a generous 11c. Satisfied with the time but I am targeting sub 7 by July.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR.........................................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
    JibberJim..................72kg.........6.00......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w.......... -
    Gabbo..........................84kg.........7.35......Feb......Fitness....................... -

Disastrous run in many ways, crowded with cars such that I was on the brakes 4 times and wasn't able to pedal for the last 23 seconds - was at 417w av before that, did 6:01 shortly after also at 398w with a steady pacing so the av is probably still okay. South East wind, so not ideal, can certainly go faster.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Yep.... Still train spotters wearing anoraks! :D
  • Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR.........................................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
    JibberJim.....................72kg.........6.00......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w..........
    Cumulonimbus..............90kg.........8.53......Feb......Fitness........................

First proper ride of the year so didnt really push myself. Set myself an easy target for next time :D Hoping to beat 7 minutes this year.
  • Gabbo

First proper ride of the year so didnt really push myself. Set myself an easy target for next time :D Hoping to beat 7 minutes this year.
    Was that time you achieved a misrepresentation of your ability? Otherwise that's quite a target hitting sub 7 as that is my target with only 35 seconds until I achieve it. Either that, or I'm setting my sights too low.

jibberjim wrote:
    Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR.........................................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
    JibberJim..................72kg.........6.00......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w.......... -

Disastrous run in many ways, crowded with cars such that I was on the brakes 4 times and wasn't able to pedal for the last 23 seconds - was at 417w av before that, did 6:01 shortly after also at 398w with a steady pacing so the av is probably still okay. South East wind, so not ideal, can certainly go faster.

I would be ecstatic with 6 minutes dead but then again it's all relative to your own ability. I did some stalking on this challenge and noticed you went from 6.44 in jan 2010, to 5.47 in april 2010 and then 7.12 in Feb 2011 to 5.42 in May 2011

Quite interesting, actually.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    JibberJim.....................72kg........6.00.......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w..........
    iPete...........................69kg........6.25.......Feb.......First Club run, solo climb, fixed 46x16.....
    Gabbo........................84kg........7.35.......Feb.......Fitness....................... -
    Cumulonimbus............90kg........8.53.......Feb.......Fitness........................
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    JibberJim....................72kg........6.00.......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w..........
    iPete.........................69kg........6.25.......Feb.......First Club run, solo climb, fixed 46x16.....
    Gabbo........................84kg........7.35.......Feb.......Fitness....................... -
    diy............................74kg........7.55.......Feb.......Fitness (first non ice in 2013)..169bpm/42yo
    Cumulonimbus..............90kg........8.53.......Feb.......Fitness........................
  • Gabbo wrote:

Was that time you achieved a misrepresentation of your ability? Otherwise that's quite a target hitting sub 7 as that is my target with only 35 seconds until I achieve it. Either that, or I'm setting my sights too low.

jibberjim wrote:

I would be ecstatic with 6 minutes dead but then again it's all relative to your own ability. I did some stalking on this challenge and noticed you went from 6.44 in jan 2010, to 5.47 in april 2010 and then 7.12 in Feb 2011 to 5.42 in May 2011

Blood doping? :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Gabbo wrote:

The numbers for the first ones of the year weren't really genuine though, I certainly could've done considerably better than the 7.12 in Feb 2011 for example (Otter was born in June 2011 so that May one was at the peak of fitness) I just posted whatever pootle up the hill I did (The 331 watts in Feb 2011 was barely above threshold and I'd done 360 5min as part of an 8 min effort earlier in the same ride so clearly was very far from maximal)

The actual improvements in what I could do were quite a bit less. Remember temperature and other conditions can make a big difference too (20 seconds at 6 min pace at least)

I actually hope to get sub 5:30 with the road conditions now, but that will require some actual chance to get some fitness in, so we'll see. I'm probably at 430watts which will probably get me ~5:40 when it warms up so certainly need some improvement, or to bring out the aero gear to get 5:30.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    diy wrote:
    JibberJim....................72kg........6.00.......Feb......Ex Club Run Hero back in training.......398w..........
    iPete.........................69kg........6.25.......Feb.......First Club run, solo climb, fixed 46x16.....
    antloony...................77kg........6.35......Sept......I'm a sprinter not a bloody climber and hate hills.
    diy............................74kg........7.55.......Feb.......Fitness (first non ice in 2013)..169bpm/42yo
    Cumulonimbus..............90kg........8.53.......Feb.......Fitness........................
  • Gabbo wrote:

I did say i took it easy so yes its not a representation of an all-out effort. Also, its my first proper ride of the year - and Box Hill is 20 miles away. Once i start riding 2 or 3 times a week then my time comes down a lot.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo wrote:

I did say i took it easy so yes its not a representation of an all-out effort. Also, its my first proper ride of the year - and Box Hill is 20 miles away. Once i start riding 2 or 3 times a week then my time comes down a lot.

Okay, well good luck in achieving your sub 7 target. I'm sure you'll have no problem in doing so, just keep it updated on here so I can try to beat you to it :D

I've got 4 months to cut 35 seconds. If I can't do that, I'll sell my bike for £0.01 (promise)

Weathers not really ideal at the moment though, but hopefully a few PR's for us come the warmer weather :D
  • diy
    Sorry are we supposed to be posting our best time or our best 2013 time? min is the 2013 only.
  • Gabbo
    diy wrote:
    Sorry are we supposed to be posting our best time or our best 2013 time? min is the 2013 only.

best 2013 time :)

antooony wrote:
    diy wrote:
    antloony...................77kg........6.35......Sept......I'm a sprinter not a bloody climber and hate hills.

Stop fishing, you managed an entire minute quicker than me. Must be the venge :wink:

Oh, and I do believe it's the best 2013 time, not best of all time.
  • antooony
    sorry...will go do a faster time this weekend and thats not my best time but my best strava recorded time ;)

and I really don't climb well, if I climbed like I sprinted I'd be up the top of the leader board......possibly :)
  • diy
    perhaps we need another thread for the mad mile and A24 d/h segments too.
  • Gabbo
    antooony wrote:
    sorry...will go do a faster time this weekend and thats not my best time but my best strava recorded time ;)
    We'll see :wink:(this is my way of encouraging you to go all out)
    and I really don't climb well, if I climbed like I sprinted I'd be up the top of the leader board......possibly :)
    Pull that fishing line back in. You're a sprinter and can climb quite quickly! (well, compared to me anyway) :mrgreen:
    diy wrote:
    Sounds good, but not sure how many people would be able to participate in the mad mile challenge. Also, the winds are blowing south at the moment and considering the mad mile heads north, would make it a hell of a challenge :D
  • antooony
    Gabbo wrote:
    antooony wrote:
    We'll see :wink:(this is my way of encouraging you to go all out)
    Pull that fishing line back in. You're a sprinter and can climb quite quickly! (well, compared to me anyway) :mrgreen:
    diy wrote:
    Sounds good, but not sure how many people would be able to participate in the mad mile challenge. Also, the winds are blowing south at the moment and considering the mad mile heads north, would make it a hell of a challenge :D

Certainly wont be doing it this weekend. I have man flu.....the misses says its 'just a cold' but no, no no no its worse than 'just a cold'....what do women know.

Mad mile you say...

2 Antony Leeson Aug 28, 2012 40.4mi/h 175bpm - 1:16

Just one second behind the leader and this wasn't on my aero bike, no drafting and no tail tail wind and from a standing start at the lights. Must try it again soon, blood hard though. :shock:
  • diy
    scratching my head, trying the think where the lights are?

we are talking about this : http://www.strava.com/segments/mill-way ... le-1029598
  • Gabbo
    diy wrote:

we are talking about this : http://www.strava.com/segments/mill-way ... le-1029598

Nope. Mad mile in Banstead
  • Gabbo wrote:
    diy wrote:

Nope. Mad mile in Banstead

Hadnt heard of a mad mile in Banstead before. Which road is that on?
  • Gabbo
    It's the A217

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The little stretch just after fir tree road heading north :)
  • Gabbo
    I actually re attempted this a couple of days ago and managed 7:35 again! Was one cyclist just in front of me (at the end) and I would've felt rude over taking right at the end of the segment so I decided against it. To be honest, would've only cut about 8 seconds or so according to my 2.2km time of the segment.

I will reattempt this challenge, but not yet. May head down there tomorrow morning and do about 5 repeats before heading home. Not going to kill myself though but I find that this is great interval training especially if you go at 90% effort.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Grrr, all the other box hill segments say < 6, sound much better! :lol:

iPete.........................69kg........6.05.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
  • diy
    I had another attempt on Saturday, felt I gave all I could give. 7:56. It was the Humanrace Duathlon, so can only think I was slower due to having to pass so many riders.

iPete - well done -20 seconds. amazing.
  • Gabbo
    edited March 2013
    I've knocked 4 seconds off. Really don't think it is worth me posting but here goes:

iPete.........................69kg........6.05.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
    Gabbo.....................84kg........7.31....March.......Fitness....................... -

Beautiful day down in Surrey today. A strong breeze blowing west made if difficult on Zig Zag road just after the penultimate hairpin but I managed to shave 4 seconds nonetheless. Hopefully the weather will continue to improve from here on so that I can get more decent miles in. Who needs Richmond park when you've got Box Hill? :)
  • Gabbo
    As beautiful as this segment is, I'm not going to attempt it for a little while. Will be mixing up my routes and possibly doing repeats on an even longer hill I have found - http://app.strava.com/segments/3262390

It's just across the road from Box Hill, so shouldn't be so bad. Really want to shave over 30 seconds off my time within the next couple of months so must train hard and eat well!
  • diy
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edited April 2013
    Gabbo.....................84kg........7.31....March.......Fitness.......................
    Cumulonimbus..............90kg........8.00.......Feb.......Fitness/Triathlon........................

Loads of riders out there today, good to see.

Bad weather has prevented me from getting out riding much at all so reasonably happy with that. Hopefully make good progress towards 7 minutes in the next few months.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Are those of us in the 11.30+ bracket allowed to personally come round and slap (with a wet kipper, obviously) those who can do sub-7 and still moan about how slow they are ? :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • diy
    Try coming in fast (15+mph) from the north side concentrating on efficiency and holding at least 9-10mph until you hit the funny paint. Pick the pace up on that section and sprint once you have rounded the final hairpin, going up the gears as you hit the top section. 10 mins should be doable if you break it up in to thirds.

Really its only been the last 2-3 days that the wind has dropped, once it warms up you'll see times drop a lot. The other way of looking at it is those who are pulling sub 5 mins can sprint the whole way, where as those taking 10 mins+ can't run flat out for that long. Currently last years 7:44 seem out of reach for me.

sub 7 mins doesn't even get you in the top 1000 riders, and sub 8 wont get you in the top 3,000 :( Just to really depress you - oh and one of the pros pulled a 4:43.. on a 155 mile ride ! Now that guy needs a slap ;)