My "Ralph" build thread

13»

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    I'm loving the thread steelie, reckon you'll enjoy the bike all the more for the effort you've put in. You must be chomping at the bit to get Ralph out the house. Got any plans for the maiden voyage?

Maiden will be Delamere forest tomorrow hopefully, and Saturday im going Llandegla with some mate. Apparently were doing black runs :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Finished? Pictures?
  • steelie600
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Finished? Pictures?
    Patience!! Jeez!!

GLEETINGS my fellow MTB tossbags, I bring you good tidings, smiley faces :D and pictures of a finished nature!

Well Ralph is finished! And boy does it ride well. Rolls so well its almost unfair, easy to pedal. Suspension is plush as you like! And all bar readjusting the rear wheel bearings now theyve had a couple of miles to bed in, all in perfick running order! This is my first bike with discs and fook me are they powerful! I nearly went over the top attempting a stoppie at the end of my street!! LOL

So Final Spec
    Univega Frame model unknown (Email off Univega confirms it is one of theirs but they don't know hat the model is due to lack of info at new owners and the frame was also fitted to lots of BSO's from 2002)

Front end: Suntour XCR DA LO forks, Zoom Bars, Renthal Grips, Deda stem, Aest headset, Hope spacers, Aldi cycle computer

Rear end: Rockshox BAR 2.1 air shock, RSP seatpost, Velo comfort gel saddle

Groupset: Deore Crankset, XT cassette, Deore BB, XTR front Mech, XT rear mech, XTR cables, Deore shifters. FSA Race spec chain. 3x9, DMR V8 pedals (Have ordered Shimano DX but the first set came damaged so had to get an emergency set of DMR's

Wheels: Mavic basic rims on Quando hubs, with stainless spokes. Continental rim tapes and DH spec tubes and Schwalbe Racing Ralph Cube racing compound

Brakes: Shimano Deore Hydraulics in white, Resin pads, and Carbon cycle discs 203mm f and 160mm rear

100_1801.jpg

100_1797.jpg

100_1798.jpg

100_1799.jpg

100_1800.jpg

100_1801.jpg

100_1802.jpg

100_1803.jpg

100_1805.jpg

100_1806.jpg

100_1804.jpg
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • steelie600
    Total cost Bearing in mind everything was BRAND NEW

£506.74
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    steelie600 wrote:
    Total cost Bearing in mind everything was BRAND NEW

£506.74
    so it turns out it is a Univega and not quite the BSO that was expected :lol: , i can honestly say i've really enjoyed following this thread and seeing "Ralph" slowly come together, a great job you've done there mate :D.......and what happened to a full bike shot?????
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steelie600
    I did post one honest!! Ill do it now eh?? LOL

100_1796.jpg

:lol:
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Looks good!
    Dont worry about the "black runs" at llandegla-there is nothing on them that is not easily doable. Its more "jumps" than technical. Most would probably class it as a red route. However, that's not to say its boring. Some of it, especially the new sections, are great fun.
  • I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I sincerely hope there wont be a trip to A&E following the weekends first outing! Good luck and may god have mercy on your soul, spine, tibia, fibula, clavicle and lunchbox! :)
  • steelie600
    I hope not too Pingu. Ive spent enough time in hospitals over the years. I used to have my own bed!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Lets see how you feel once you're past the honeymoon period. :wink:

Although good effort a full sus of sorts for £500 new(ish) isn't bad, and I think it looks ok apart from the stickers. Be worth getting a WMB bike tester to ride it to give their view... SS? :D

Out of interest and not that it matters but any idea on weight?
  • steelie600
    Errr hang on ill see if my old mans got some fishing scales
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • steelie600
    13.4kg is the answer! not lightweight but not that heavy
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Did you ever weigh your tyres? Take it they're ORC compound? I'm trying to decide between two wire ralphs or one folding ralph for the same price! (Got a nic on the front)
  • steelie600
    No sorry dude never did! They dont feel heavy to me to be fair, but never felt the weight of a folder
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Not too shabby!

Personally I'd ditch the Shimano stickers and get some subtle Univega ones instead..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • steelie600
    Not too shabby!

Personally I'd ditch the Shimano stickers and get some subtle Univega ones instead..

im trying to find some dude, theyre as rare as hens teeth!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    steelie600 wrote:
    Not too shabby!

im trying to find some dude, theyre as rare as hens teeth!
    did i hear a clucking noise somewhere ? :lol:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEGATINA-VINI ... 3024wt_924 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEGATINA-BICI ... 41663de9e9 :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steelie600
    I love you!!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • jbound7
    jbound7 Posts: 1
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I thought about getting a gold chain once

Then I realised my surname wasn't 'Cent' or 'T'

LOOOOOOL! :mrgreen: