Tiredness

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Afternoon all, quick question regarding tiredness, I regularly ride mtb, not got out on my road bike yet (not collected yet) however,I changed my diet in january which has helped me lose just over a stone, now for the question, will the change of diet make me feel tired? It's not always but by early evening I'm knackered and when I get in bed I can fall asleep straight away which is not usual, any help gratefully received, thanks in advance, gaz

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    gazman1 wrote:
    ...I changed my diet in january which has helped me lose just over a stone, now for the question, will the change of diet make me feel tired? It's not always but by early evening I'm knackered and when I get in bed I can fall asleep straight away which is not usual, any help gratefully received, thanks in advance, gaz
    When I cut down on the calories to shift a few pounds, I do tend to feel tired, especially in the afternoons. I think it just goes with the territory - all part of the willpower required.

I don't have any hard evidence, but light exercise (eg quick walk round the block), and also making sure I'm not thirsty seems to help.

That said, being properly tired by the time you go to bed, and falling asleep quickly, sounds good rather than bad.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    so you are eating less carbs than usual and feel tired/lacking in energy, I think that's normal :D

Complex carbs keep you fuller for longer and will give you longer slow release energy which could stop you feeling tired, eat the same amount of carbs but swap the simple carbs for complex ones.

For example, avoid anything with white flour in, this will only give you instant energy, eat only wholemeal, wholemeal flour, wholemeal pasta, avoid potatoes, eat sweet potatoes (a vine not a potato) More soluble fibre will slow down digestion, as will fat.

Divide your food into smaller portions and eat more often to slow release energy into your system.

Drink more water.

This assumes that you do not have an incurable disease and are going to die a nasty death by Wednesday, if you are then ignore this advice :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • gazman1
    This assumes that you do not have an incurable disease and are going to die a nasty death by Wednesday, if you are then ignore this advice :D[/quote]

Thanks for that I hope I last until Thursday, as Wednesday is my birthday I wouldn't want to waste my family's money and not open my cards/presents would I.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I will wish you a happy birthday, now :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I wish I could fall to sleep as soon as I get into bed... lol. It's not a bad thing to be tired by the end of the day :)
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • gazman1
    Thanks for replies, team 47b thanks I'll. Let you know I'm still here on Friday :D