The Gap Road - Brecon Beacons

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited March 2013 in Routes
Me and some mates are planning a weekend biking in South Wales. Wondering if anyone has ridden the route and care to share their thoughts?

Also what's the terrain like? Does it cope fine with wet weather or should we look to do something else if its boggy?

Comments

• Not done it in a while but it was OK mostly more of an issue of wind/rain making it harder on the rider than the surface!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's stony track the whole way even in heavy rain you'll be OK (but cycling through a riverbed).

I've only ever ridden South to North, seems like the gradiants are easier but you might want to see which way the wind is blowing on the day- it's a hard enough climb without a gail blowing in your face.
  • jairaj
    Thanks for the info

Whats the route like to ride? is it fun, ok ish? Still worth riding if the conditions are bad?

would you recomend something else nearby? Looking for something around 20 - 30 km long
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jairaj wrote:
    Thanks for the info

Whats the route like to ride? is it fun, ok ish? Still worth riding if the conditions are bad?

would you recomend something else nearby? Looking for something around 20 - 30 km long

fun isn't the word i'd use. it's not got great descents of anything, but it is an enjoyable ride. the scenery is great. i'd only avoid it if it's blowing a gale or hammering down with rain as it's pretty exposed up there
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Well 'fun' is a relative thing - it's at the extreme end of xc riding in Wales - The col that takes the track over the beacons is at 600 metres and is exposed and difficult to ride, don't do it if you're not committed. Be prepared etc etc. The descent suits a proper downhill bike, if you're on an older HT (like me) it's slower going (but perfectly doable).

Plenty of trail centres not too far off if that's your thing. As far as genuine XC routes goes this one is easy to navigate but there are easier ones not too far off (MTBWales has one starting in Crickhowell that's a good day out).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As others have said it's the weather rather than the terrain that can make the GAP a challenge, fantastic views on a good day.

Do able on about any bike you chose, used to hack up and down on rigids which while clearly got kicked about a bit not too bad, though clearly I was younger then!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Here's a really good webiste, that you may find useful if you're thinking of biking 'round that neck of the woods
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/brecon/the-gap

The link goes straight to their Gap Road route - but check out some of their other routes too. There's a lot worth riding in that area. But dang, some of it is hard going.

...but then if it was easy, it wouldn't be half as much fun! :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • jairaj
    Thanks for the link. I think we're sorted for rides now but that'll come in handy for next time.
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    Clank wrote:
    Here's a really good webiste, that you may find useful if you're thinking of biking 'round that neck of the woods
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/brecon/the-gap

Thats a great link. Thanks
    Cheers Nathan.