Campagnolo shamal ultra wheels

sam1176uk
sam1176uk Posts: 524
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Got a chance to pick up a 2nd hand set of these, to upgrade from my fulcrum 7's.
I assume this will be a worthwhile upgrade?
The guy says they are 4-5yrs old but have only done 100 miles, is there any way to tell their age? And if they are old, I assume they will still be much better than what I have?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Yes they should be much, much nicer than R7s. Whether it's worthwhile depends on the cost and condition really. Check the rims for wear and that the hubs run smooth.
  • Well he says they have hardly been used but are about 4-5yrs old, when did they start making them?
    Will a 2008 set be much different from a current set?
    What would you say they would be worth roughly?
    Cheers
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Lovely wheels if they have been looked after.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    I think these are the 2008 Shamals. I'm not sure whether these had the carbon hub body or if that came later?
    campy-shamel-zoom.jpg
    As to value - have a look at what you could buy new for the money. These were about 1500g. If you must have GOLD wheels they might be your only option :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If they are really only 100 miles they should still have a milled surface to the rims (like record grooves) - you need to look closely but it will be much neater than on worn rims. The rears might retain the milling for some time but any significant use, particularly in the wet, and the milling will be long gone.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I don't think they are carbon hubs, like you say I think they came later on.
    So would a new set to the same money be as good as the older shamals?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The first ones were gold in 2006/7, then they brought out in the grey around 2008 and more recently went to black. My gold ones from 2007 have the carbon hub shell. Don't think they've changed much except the colour.
    They are great wheels better than Ksyrium SLs IME - slightly more forging ride and more aero too.
    If only 100 miles, they should be near immaculate with barely any evidence of brake block wear.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    I think these are the 2008 Shamals. I'm not sure whether these had the carbon hub body or if that came later?
    campy-shamel-zoom.jpg
    As to value - have a look at what you could buy new for the money. These were about 1500g. If you must have GOLD wheels they might be your only option :)

I love the gold ones... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • These ones are grey with sealed hubs.
    What should I be paying for these roughly?
    I'd guess his 100miles estimate is likely to be on the low side if they are 4-5yrs old.
  • sam1176uk wrote:
    These ones are grey...

Booooooo :cry:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Does £350ish sound about right?
  • Found these new wheels for similar money http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=35676
    How would they perform compared to the shamals?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Super wheels IME.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Super wheels IME.

Fsa's or shamals?
  • nochekmate
    Shamals
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Depends if they really are good nick, I thought new Zonda's were 1550gms ish (could be wrong) and go for under £270 http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-zonda-wheelset-2013.html ...my guts tell me ShamUls of that age, unless they're gold ones someone would specifically want are not offering much for £350, I sold a perfectly good set of DuraAce 7850cls for less than that, they were like new and weigh 1380gm apparently.

Weight is NOT everything though. (new Shamals are about 1400gm for ref as against those older ones though, a different wheel really).
  • sam1176uk
    Well i was just about to pull the trigger and buy these today and now you have made me think twice, lol. So you think brand new zondas will be as good as 2008 shamal ultras?
    I have had a look at them and they are in very good condition with the original box/wheel bags/manual/tool.
    He said he had them on for 3 months over the winter and noticed some slight pitting appear on the rim, so removed them and has stored them in his loft ever since.
  • nochekmate
    Zondas are not in the same league as Shamals but you will have to balance the argument between new wheels and warranty as against the aged but VGC Shamals (they are not a real 'steal' at £350 IMO given the fact that they are a few years old).
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well £267 vs £350 for a current wheel versus a 5 year old wheel, I dunno... if it was me I wouldnt go for 5 year old shamals at that price... but that's just me.

You could get some high up brand new Kysriums for £400 (?) ...just doesn't make sense to me as a purchase for that money.

(I own new Shamals, have 2009 zondas, have owned DA7850cl out of wheels in recent years).

£350 would also get some new handbuilts at under or about 1500gm surely?
  • sam1176uk
    There may be room for some negotiating on the £350 price, plus they come with a cassette, skewers, manuals and campag wheel bags.

The main reason for this post was to ask you guys exactly that, would a set of 4/5 year old shamal ultras be better than a £300ish set of brand new wheels, of which there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer so i guess i'll just need to make a judgement call...
    Buying 2nd hand wouldn't bother me, and i probably wouldnt normally have looked, but the guy is local so i have had a chance to view them before committing..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    £350 is pricey - 5-6 years ago they cost only £400 new - so £250-300 tops used more like. If they are virtually unused, they will be better than new Scirroccos - they have Record quality hubs and the main difference in weight is the rims. I also build my own wheels, so for £300 you might just stretch to some Velocity A23s on Novatec 291/482s - but they wouldn't feel quite as stiff or responsive
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sam1176uk
    They are virtually unused, but the rear rim had some small corrosion marks, that's why he said he stopped using them as the winter was killing them. Think he would probably take 300 for them with the cassette and wheels bags.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wish they still did gold ones :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    What cassette do the wheels have?

If it's a low mileage, 10 speed Record cassette than that's going to be worth £100 in itself, which would make the wheels a good deal at £300.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • sam1176uk
    I just know it's a 10spd campag cassette, not sure which model...
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    sam1176uk wrote:
    They are virtually unused, but the rear rim had some small corrosion marks, that's why he said he stopped using them as the winter was killing them. Think he would probably take 300 for them with the cassette and wheels bags.

I have had Shamals and used them in all weathers and never had any signs of corrosion or wear.

I feel that the seller might not be being totally honest about the miles if they have corrosion.

If you hadn't mentioned the corrosion then I would have said grab them as they are bloody fantastic wheels, however with the corrosion I would steer clear, you can regularly find them on Fleabay for £400-450

Post some pictures up and perhaps we can make an educated guess as to their value.
  • sam1176uk
    Corrosion was probably too strong a word, more like minor marks, some photos:

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3oenBRLJunmts48_80_zps1572aecb.jpg
    T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseFPoBRLJuK5TW48_80_zps6bb1b417.jpg
    KGrHqVHJFFEl30sTrBRLJveT4448_80_zps65b4844d.jpg
    T2eC16dEE9s2uiPSBRLJvBjvgg48_80_zps341ceeee.jpg