Cheap road bike for a large fella

eddiefiola
eddiefiola Posts: 344
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
OK not really that fat but 101kgs (16 stone) at last count, looking to spend not more than 400 quid, but would prefer to spend less as I already have a mountain bike which takes funding.

Viking seems to not have bad reviews would the one here http://www.rutlandcycling.com/30786/Viking-Giro-D-Italia---Road-Racing-Bike--.html be a better by than the base Merlin bike? http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes/merlin-s2200-road-bike.html

Have been looking at new wheelsets for the MTB too and have had to take care about max rider weight, would I be OK in assuming any of these basic cheap bikes would be ok for my 100+kgs?

Any other good deals going around at the moment?

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Here's a very bad review of a Viking for you. I would steer clear if I were you. The site you've linked to doesn't give a full specification for the Viking, so it's hard to even tell what components it's got. The Shimano 2300/Sora combination on the Merlin is at least a known quantity. At this price, lots of people rave about the B'Twin Triban 3, so you might want to check that out.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Height?
    I, too, tip the scales at the wrong side of 100kgs;
    personally I'd try and stretch to something better than a Viking,
    maybe... http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXUJV2/pl ... ross_frame
    or http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRSBALUR/sa ... road_frame
    although you might be pushing the budget a bit there, but 400 quid for a road bike, being
    a more generously proportioned cyclist, like myself, is scrimping somewhat.
    Either that or eBay for a grands-worth at half price at 18 months old, maybe?
    Cheap, machine-built wheels (which you will inevitably get on the the Viking) are
    not where you want to scrimp!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Searching around, it seems the Viking has stem-mounted shifters. I thought they went out in the 1970s (if they were ever in)!
  • eddiefiola
    @lc1981 hmm that review def puts one off the Viking, as if the colours didn't already ;) cheers!

@prb007 6'2", really really want to keep the budget down, I know all too well buy cheap is bad etc etc but need to try if poss and keep with the low end for the 1st bike.

What do you think about the Raleigh Airlite 2011? http://www.rutlandcycling.com/42347/Raleigh-Airlite-100-2011---White---700c-Road-Bike-Sale.html
  • eddiefiola
    lc1981 wrote:
    Searching around, it seems the Viking has stem-mounted shifters. I thought they went out in the 1970s (if they were ever in)!

the last road bike I rode had the shifters mounted on the frame, I looked at the bikes now and it took me a while before i figured out they all have brake/shifter combos nowadays ;)
  • eddiefiola
    Forgot to say, I would consider the Decathlon based on reviews at the top of the pile but they don't have any large frames available in UK or Germany http://www.decathlon.de/btwin-rennrad-triban-3-id_8167038.html
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If I were you I'd go for the Merlin and get a savvy mate to check the tension in the wheels. I'd also budget for 28c tyres; that will make a big difference in terms of comfort and resistance to pinch flats.

ETA: On closer inspection the Merlin is running some pretty tall gearing; perhaps look for something with compact or triple chainset?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    To the OP - have sent PM.

Got a Drossiger (German brand sold by Merlin)

Shimano 2300 groupset & Ritchey finishing kit. All VGC for less than £300
  • Merlin looks ok.

+1 for the Triban 3 can really be beaten on price over quality
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    seriously if you only have 400 quid budget and want a new bike. Go for the decathlon triban 3. I had 1 as my 1st road bike and it was excellent, never let me down once. Iam also a big chap and the triple chainset was a big bonus on climbs.
  • eddiefiola
    Thanks for all the replies, the Triban 3 isn't available in my size online ;( I'm based in Germany and there aren't any stores close to me to even see if they have stock (might try ringing around in my crappy German to ask).

Going to take a closer look at the Merlin. In regards to the gearing and actually what got me thinking about a road bike, was out on the MTB today and ended up coming back from a trip around 15km on road, using a 42 front ring and 11 back i'm pedaling like crazy, also made me think about the road riding i used to do many years ago and giving it a go again.

Where I live (in Germany) it's pretty flat so I don't anticipate any climbing.

The Merlin has 50 big front and 11 smallest back? Seems ok on the low end and I don't think 34 front and 25 back would cause any issues.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    If I had 400 quid to spend on a bike I'd buy second hand, for example, I'm selling my Giant OCR based build in the summer, Ultegra 9 speed groupset with loads of other nice bits, been able to cope with my 100kg weight, for less than 400 quid. There's bound to be loads of bikes out there in the next few months that are similar.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • eddiefiola
    poppit wrote:
    If I had 400 quid to spend on a bike I'd buy second hand, for example, I'm selling my Giant OCR based build in the summer, Ultegra 9 speed groupset with loads of other nice bits, been able to cope with my 100kg weight, for less than 400 quid. There's bound to be loads of bikes out there in the next few months that are similar.

Funny enough I went into a shop today all intents to buy a new bike and ended up coming out with a cheap 2nd hand Giant OCR, I think it's a 3, it has full Tiagra and Shimano R500 wheels, would that make it a 3?

Paid 300 quid for it, fair price?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    How's about a yellow BMX?
  • Of course I was going to recommend the Triban 3. Supplies are a bit short in the UK now in places. Wasn't aware they were very scarce in Germany too.
    Hey-ho. Whatever you end up with............. enjoy it!
  • eddiefiola
    Garry H wrote:

haha you remember the Flying Banana then ;)

So went out on the bike for the 1st time today. 40km and felt really good.

Some lessons learnt:

Stopping on a road bike in wet weather is much harder than on your MTB with knobbly tires and disc brakes (good job no one was coming across those traffic lights as i locked the wheels up and still couldn't stop. Lesson learnt very quickly there.

Overshoes are a must on cold days, just ordered some BBS overshoes to go over the spd shoes.

The only issue with the bike is a creaking/rubbing sound when really pushing the pedals hard in low gear, while on the biggest front ring and lowest two gears at the back, thought it was just the front derailleur rubbing but small adjustment and it was still there so need to investigate more.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though for a first outing!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    eddiefiola wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

haha you remember the Flying Banana then ;)

I certainly do, he was my first cycling hero :D