Man 'flu!

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Man down! All week I've been victim to an awful case of man 'flu. I normally get over colds very quickly but this virus has kicked be in the nuts.
I managed to get out of bed today and staggered to the shops but that left me feeling dizzy and really weak. My guts don't feel right so I have hardly eaten and this can't be helping.

I'm supposed to be going to a wedding on saturday but unless I have a miraculous recovery, I doubt I'll enjoy myself and I could spread the lurgey. Should I go or give it a miss?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Always go! You should be fine by then.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I was a bit under the weather and couldn't get out of bed this morning too. You won't catch me complaining though - it was Mrs Walking Boot Weather I was under :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I was a bit under the weather and couldn't get out of bed this morning too. You won't catch me complaining though - it was Mrs Walking Boot Weather I was under :wink:

Happy Birthday, WBW!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was a bit under the weather and couldn't get out of bed this morning too. You won't catch me complaining though - it was Mrs Walking Boot Weather I was under :wink:

Happy Birthday, WBW!
    :lol:
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    You better hope you haven't had the thing everyone in my office (and me) had.

Week 1-2 - Flu like symptoms. Fever, aches, night sweats, feeling like I've been roughed up by a gorilla.

Week 2-4 - Chesty cough with incessant, painful coughing. Sleep is a struggle as I can't stop coughing. Laughing is deadly - have told wife to stop asking if we can get a vintage car. Some remnants of fever / aches. May develop into laryngitis or a chest infection. Oh, chest infection, hi! Antibiotics....

Weeks 4-6 - more coughing gradually subsiding, nasty headcold with snot being produced in industrial quantities. Be prepared to spend most of your salary on tissues - twice your salary if you are a hopeless onanist. :oops:

Weeks 5-6 - snot still coming out in prodigous amounts. Where is it coming from?! Eating an extra 1000 calories to keep up with enery lost through snot production. Feeling much better but suffering from long periods of inner ear pressure imbalance so you can hear nothing and keep falling over.

Weeks 6 onwards - can stand up and hear things now! Is it finally over? I'll let you know.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    a-flu_zps914493e2.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    MTFU and go. Denial is the best way to cope with illness.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I have to say, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to the end of the day. My sniffle has turned into a full-blown snuffle.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    MrSweary wrote:
    You better hope you haven't had the thing everyone in my office (and me) had.

Week 1-2 - Flu like symptoms. Fever, aches, night sweats, feeling like I've been roughed up by a gorilla.

Week 2-4 - Chesty cough with incessant, painful coughing. Sleep is a struggle as I can't stop coughing. Laughing is deadly - have told wife to stop asking if we can get a vintage car. Some remnants of fever / aches. May develop into laryngitis or a chest infection. Oh, chest infection, hi! Antibiotics....

Weeks 4-6 - more coughing gradually subsiding, nasty headcold with snot being produced in industrial quantities. Be prepared to spend most of your salary on tissues - twice your salary if you are a hopeless onanist. :oops:

Weeks 5-6 - snot still coming out in prodigous amounts. Where is it coming from?! Eating an extra 1000 calories to keep up with enery lost through snot production. Feeling much better but suffering from long periods of inner ear pressure imbalance so you can hear nothing and keep falling over.

Weeks 6 onwards - can stand up and hear things now! Is it finally over? I'll let you know.

That seems worryingly familiar. My flatmate is still suffering after nearly a month.

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    You'll be fine.

That' reassuring. My flatmate just got on with it and is also fine now.
    FTFY and PMA.
  • veronese68
    Hoisted by my own petard. Having told EKE to man up and get on with it I've been struck down by Nora's virus. Woke up feeling really lethargic, told myself I'd be ok once I got going. Rode to work, slowly. Shortly after I got there I was on the throne. Spent more time there than at my desk. Bailed as soon as I felt I could manage half an hour in a cab at about 10:30. Made it home, just.
    Now I'm here and my bike is at work so I can't even ride in on Monday. Still feel like death warmed up.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I dragged myself back from the very brink of death by cycling in all weather like a MAN and now i'm even stronger than before, so much so that light bends around me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    I dragged myself back from the very brink of death by cycling in all weather like a MAN and now i'm even stronger than before, so much so that light bends around me.
    Thats because you're so massive, nothing to do with strength.

Leaving for the wedding in a couple of hours. Phlegm production is very high and feeling very headachy.
    PMA levels: very low!

• veronese68
    Good luck, I do believe that man flu is scared of alcohol so you should drink as much as possible then get in trouble for chatting up the bridesmaids.