Austerity measures

Woodmonkey
Woodmonkey Posts: 412
edited March 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Anyone wondering what Leicestershire councils cutbacks might look like, I can confirm they look a lot like me! Got the big heave ho this morning!bit of a bummer!
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

Comments

• Sorry to hear that but it ain't much better in the public sector, I got laid off at the end of last year.

Good luck with finding a new job.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Best thing that ever happened to me was getting laid off tbh- hope it works out well for you too!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    That sucks, but as north wind said something good might come of it. Did you enjoy your job, or is this a chance to go for something that is more rewarding?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    hope you get something soon woodmonkey
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Was put in a similar situation last summer Woodmonkey, was told I was being made redundant and then 3 weeks into my 4 week notice period they 'found' a position for me. Then after another 3 weeks they tried to performance manage me out of the company. This went on for 7 months as they couldn't find anything but they percevered.

I have since left and found something new and hope you do to.

Good Luck
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Not good but usually leads to better things in the end, so time to think about what you want to/can do. Who the fark wants to work for a council for their entire life?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Trying to take the positive from your situation at least you'll have more time to play bikes?

Rough luck though
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not good but usually leads to better things in the end, so time to think about what you want to/can do. Who the fark wants to work for a council for their entire life?

Depends if they want to buy a boat called dignity............... (1980's reference :( )
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Sorry about the news and wish you well for the next stage. Good luck with the job hunt.
  • Woodmonkey
    Well it seems to not look too bad right now, mrs woodmonkey has decided to go back full time so she said I can be a stay at home dad and find something part time. This will mean more time to play bikes!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • tlw1
    That's great news!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously just getting rid of the deadwoodmonkey.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Good news, I'm off in a minute for my second consoltation meeting :(
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I've had to implement a four day week here, however as the boss I'm working five.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Good news, I'm off in a minute for my second consoltation meeting :(

:(
  • VWsurfbum
    My lot have decided to reduce numbers from 42 to 16 and cant decide what the job that is left will entile?
    Cant tell me the hours,
    Cant tell me the pay,
    But they can tell me that i have until the 15th to take voluntary redundancy,
    But cant tell me what the package is?
    Can tell me that there will be 2 of us covering my region which is set to get bigger and at the moment there is 6 full time staff working all the hours that god sends.

Looks pretty bleak :roll:

Matthew, it if it wasn't so bad it would be funny.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    My lot have decided to reduce numbers from 42 to 16 and cant decide what the job that is left will entile?
    Cant tell me the hours,
    Cant tell me the pay,
    Can tell me that there will be 2 of us covering my region which is set to get bigger and at the moment there is 6 full time staff working all the hours that god sends.

Sure thats completely legal? Im pretty they can't force you to make decisions with out clear info.

Otherwise thats a nightmare bro..
  • VWsurfbum
    Mate, they have behaved so far outside the employment law so far, nothing surprises me, there is law suits going on left right and centre!

I dont want to stay TBH, but i need the info before i can make a decision on when i jump.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Loads of people flaunt employment law unfortunately. I once got charged for gross misconduct and didn't even bum anyone. Not even a kid. Short changed or what?

Tough luck by the way, and I know its easy to say, but stuff works itself out, usually for the better.
  • tlw1
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Cant tell me the hours,
    Cant tell me the pay,

As much as I desagree with their ways of doing things somethimes.............. is there a union?
  • Woodmonkey
    cooldad wrote:
    Obviously just getting rid of the deadwoodmonkey.
    Thought I was gonna be deadwoodmonkey when I told the current mrs woodmonkey, but she has been surprisingly cool. The cash I was saving for a new bike will have to be reallocated, and the camper has sold :cry: on the plus side I have a meeting tomorrow to see about teaching joinery to remedial kids

voodoo hoodoo
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    The cash I was saving for a new bike will have to be reallocated, and I have a meeting tomorrow to see about teaching joinery to remedial kids :cry: on the plus side the camper has sold
    FTFY ;)
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My company is sending IT jobs to India :evil: .

My dept is going from 150 down to about 75 in the UK and my team is hit even more - 31 down to 12 with 17 jobs being moved to India :evil: . I've re-applied for my job and I do have the small comfort of a half decent redundancy package should things go wrong, but in general work is not a happy place at the moment. I just bought myself a new bike to cheer myself up.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • VWsurfbum
    Just got notifacation that my redundancy will be in line with goverment guidelines, unless stated otherwise in my contract, My contract mentions nothing about redundancy :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    That's one weeks salary per year of work as long as you have been there over 2 years... pretty naffy to be honest :(
  • VWsurfbum
    6 years :(
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tlw1
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    6 years :(

:( crap news

So, 6 weeks money - wife, kids, mortgage............ decided what bike bits you are going to buy?
  • VWsurfbum
    :lol: thinking selling the Touareg and buying a small cheap runnabout
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tlw1
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    :lol: thinking selling the Touareg and buying a small cheap runnabout

roadbike? :)
  • VWsurfbum