Answer ProTaper Carbon 720 AM or Easton Carbon Riser Bar

rave81
rave81 Posts: 57
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I at upgrading to carbon bar, I am considered the Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720 AM or the EASTON Carbon riser bar, which one is the best in terms of stiffness, durability and warranty cover?

Comments

• I just bought the Easton Haven carbon bar, they're a great piece of kit, exceptionally light and strong.
    I got a great deal aswell £89 delivered, from westbrook cycles. :D
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think they are both highly regarded manufacturers, I'd be happy with which ever fits better.

I know Easton do a lot of testing and publicise more. Don't know if that's just down to bigger marketing budget than Answer or if they genuinely do more R&D?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you looked at Enve carbon bars? They are a thing of beauty and very light.
    Our local shop has Enve & Easton Haven carbon bars and for the same width the Enve bars feel lighter.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Easton all the way for me, every single bit of kit I've got of theirs is top notch, the Havoc Carbon bars are awesome and stupidly light for the width!
  • rave81
    lawman wrote:
    Easton all the way for me, every single bit of kit I've got of theirs is top notch, the Havoc Carbon bars are awesome and stupidly light for the width!

Unfortunately, I have to buy it in CRC since I have store credit from them. They don't sell ENVE.

The Easton Haven is 711mm while the Answer 720mm long. isn't 720 is long?
  • fritzz11
    fritzz11 Posts: 40
    Used answer bars on motocross bikes starting in the late eighties, and on every bike since and now use the carbon pro tapers on my mtb, never had an issue with any of them.
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'm a huge fan of Easton carbon, but for £70 the answers are unbeatable. So much so I just bought some :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rave81
    How long is the warranty for Answer Pro Taper Carbon, because Easton haven Carbon comes with life time warranty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As a rule bars don't break, and when they do the warranty on your body is more important.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rave81
    cooldad wrote:
    As a rule bars don't break, and when they do the warranty on your body is more important.

Well said. That is why its important to have income protection insurance/trauma insurance :).

How may incident does easton haven carbon riser and Anser Pro taper failed?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No way of getting any figures! How much do you weigh, how hard do you ride and what is the bike?
  • rave81
    supersonic wrote:
    No way of getting any figures! How much do you weigh, how hard do you ride and what is the bike?

I weight 80 kg and my height is 5 10". The type of I tried mainly technical/single track. There are lot of uphill climb and down hill climb. My bike is a trance x1 29er 2013 with upgraded shimano xtr group set.

I end up buying the Easton haven carbon rise since it comes with life time warranty, answer only got 1 year warranty.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I know it's your money and you can do just as you please. But, why do you see carbon bars as an upgrade when you do not know what width you require?

Also what happened to the new group set you removed from your bike when you upgraded to xtr?
  • rave81
    I know it's your money and you can do just as you please. But, why do you see carbon bars as an upgrade when you do not know what width you require?

Also what happened to the new group set you removed from your bike when you upgraded to xtr?

The stock handlebar came with the Giant Trance X1 is abit narrow for me. Initially I was contemplating either the 711mm or 720mm. however I end up buying the easton since it is lighter, comes with life time warranty and super stiff as well. I've tried the easton carbon riser bar with my mate's yeti bike. the length is perfect.

i managed to sold those x7/x9 groupset in ebay for a good price.