Can you recommend a wall mount for a commuter bike?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I have about a third of a single garage to convert into a store room for tools, and to keep bikes. I'm currently looking for metal shelves to take care of tools and general stuff, and I plan to try and keep that lot to one wall. I've found that propping the bike up against the wall is a royal pain as it falls over, is in the way for sweeping out or moving other things in and out.

The bike is my daily commuter so I want to be able to grab and go rather than mess about with pulleys or securing straps. So, I'm thinking that a simply wall mount is the way to go. Naturally Google brings back all sorts of designs, budgets, faff factors and raise questions about durability (as you are relying on pictures)

Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a wall bracket that they have tried and tested?

Comments

• davmaggs
    Reviews seem hit and miss on that one, and I (amongst others) question the durbility of the plastic. I'm concerned that it just looks good online.

Are you using one?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mountain ... 17018.html

I use two of these in my spare room (one bike above the other). The pedal locks behind the lugs and the wheels cantilever off the wall. You can probably get it cheaper online that this link, but it was the first that came up.

Only tip is to glue the rubber caps on to the lug, otherwise they work free. Simple and easy.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    FWIW, I'm very happy with my Cycloc. It looks expensive, but it's well designed, well built and as attractive as a wall hook is likely to get for £50 or whatever it is these days.
  • Maybe not the prettiest but how about something like these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242557

You don't notice them with a bike hanging on them and as two hooks you can put one higher than the other to allow for sloping top tubes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I've got 3 of these in the garage. Good if you have limited space, not so good if you have a really heavy bike.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • I have one of these - http://www.tuskstore.com/index.php?cPath=28

Holds my winter ride & you can use it as a wall anchor point too. Took about 5 minutes to fit to the wall & are easy to rack/un-rack the bike. Hanging part that the wheel goes into also has a rubber cover to give even more protection & do put my MTB up in the rack too when I need to.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • davmaggs
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mountain-ledge-storage-bracket-id17018.html

I use two of these in my spare room (one bike above the other). The pedal locks behind the lugs and the wheels cantilever off the wall. You can probably get it cheaper online that this link, but it was the first that came up.

Only tip is to glue the rubber caps on to the lug, otherwise they work free. Simple and easy.

I've tried a Google to see if anyone has a pic of a bike on this bracket, but can't find one.

Is the idea that you lift the bike up and sit it down with the bottom bracket resting on top of the two arms (of the wall bracket), and then you push a pedal between the two arms? is that stable?
  • I got the storage wheel hook from halford's and was working fine as you would expect (for £2.99). Make sure that the wall is strong enough. It's worth giving it a go, worst case scenario you loose £3.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    davmaggs wrote:
    I've tried a Google to see if anyone has a pic of a bike on this bracket, but can't find one.

Is the idea that you lift the bike up and sit it down with the bottom bracket resting on top of the two arms (of the wall bracket), and then you push a pedal between the two arms? is that stable?

Nope, BB doesn't touch it.
    image1_zps8b7e451a.jpeg
    image2_zpsb84d66f9.jpeg
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I bought a stack of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-wall-rack/ and they seem to work well.

Obviously need to make sure they're well fixed to the wall but I happily supports my wife's sit-up-and-beg town bike. To be space efficient, they really need to be fitted into a garage corner or just inside the door.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I bought a stack of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-wall-rack/ and they seem to work well.

Obviously need to make sure they're well fixed to the wall but I happily supports my wife's sit-up-and-beg town bike. To be space efficient, they really need to be fitted into a garage corner or just inside the door.

I'm using a similar hook from Evans called Delta Leonardo, it keeps one bike out of the way behind the kitchen door, the only 'modification' I've made is to tape a bin liner to the wall where the rear wheel sits.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    redvee wrote:
    the only 'modification' I've made is to tape a bin liner to the wall where the rear wheel sits.

Stylish! :wink::wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

I like the look of these, but would need to accommodate 4 bikes (and any future N+1s obviously). I like the idea of mounting them so the bike would be at 45 degrees to the wall rather than 90 degrees. Maybe using a block of wood or something to get the angle. Sound feasible?
  • meanredspider
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I like the idea of mounting them so the bike would be at 45 degrees to the wall rather than 90 degrees. Maybe using a block of wood or something to get the angle. Sound feasible?

Can't quite picture what you mean. So the bike is slightly tipped sideways? I'm happy to experiment for you with mine if I have a clear idea of what you mean
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I use 2 Cyclocs. Pretty happy with them.

1BzN5.jpg
  • meanredspider
    I use 2 Cyclocs. Pretty happy with them.

1BzN5.jpg

That lamp clashes horribly with the bike :shock: :shock: :wink:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Do any of you have one of those wheel hook types on an internal wall.

I got a hook, just a plain generic thing off ebay to hang my bike in my bedroom wall but I've been reluctant to use it due to not really trusting the strength of it. It just screws into the wall and looks like it could be pulled out all too easily.

Don't really want to use that hook now but one of those with the double securing point looks better.
  • graeme_s-2
    Can't quite picture what you mean. So the bike is slightly tipped sideways? I'm happy to experiment for you with mine if I have a clear idea of what you mean

Sorry - it's my terrible description.

The blue line is the garage wall viewed from above, the red line is the bike. The image on the left represents how I understand those mounts work, the image on the right represents how I would like them to work.

Basically it would mean you could still have a row of them with several bikes along a wall, but they would protrude into the garage a bit less.
  • meanredspider
    Cool - let me have a play with the bikes at the weekend. I have two mounts side-by-side so I can experiment. It may be that the bike will sit happily at 45 deg with the mount fitted to the wall in the conventional manner
  • graeme_s-2
    Cool - let me have a play with the bikes at the weekend. I have two mounts side-by-side so I can experiment. It may be that the bike will sit happily at 45 deg with the mount fitted to the wall in the conventional manner
    Don't waste too much time on it, but I've been meaning to get this sorted out for a while (they're all just leaning against the wall at the mo), and any feedback or suggestions would be great appreciated!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    suzyb wrote:
    Do any of you have one of those wheel hook types on an internal wall.

I got a hook, just a plain generic thing off ebay to hang my bike in my bedroom wall but I've been reluctant to use it due to not really trusting the strength of it. It just screws into the wall and looks like it could be pulled out all too easily.

Don't really want to use that hook now but one of those with the double securing point looks better.

it depends what your bedroom walls are made of and what type of screw you are envisioning.

Thought about leaving it there...

But if it's plaster board then find a wooden joist (wall or ceiling) and screw through into that, if it's brick you can get screws that cut their own thread into brick.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike