First night ride / first ride after operation

nmt
nmt Posts: 88
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Bought my road bike at the back end of october used it throughout November but then i had to go into hospital at the beginning of December for an operation my my achillies tendon and 2 other tendons in my foot, i came out of cast around 3 week ago and started doing a little turbo work over the last few week although ony 2-3 times a week, Tonight a dropped my son off at his training (with bike in back of car) then headed off for my first ever night ride lezyne mega drive front light equiped (have to say this is a great light on unlit roads) once off the main roads after around a mile i headed out into the quiet countryside roads and i have to say what an enjoyable ride it was. Only managed 11 mile in 53 minutes at an average of 12.5mph with only 500ft of climb but i have to say i really enjoyed the crisp nightime ride :D Since my operation i'm struggling to clip out of the pedal on my poorly foot side so i ended up using a flat pedal on that side and i must say i could really tell the difference not been able to pull up on the pedal on that side :shock: I'm unable to ride out of the saddle as it hurts my foot too much :cry: but here's to hoping it starts to ease off as the year continues.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice one,sounds like you have had an enjoyable ride.Dont over do it and look forward to the spring with a fully able body.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    excellent, well done. Your making great progress. Just keep at it, but gentle and the strength will build.

Have you thought about toe clips and straps?.. may give you alternative without having to twist?

Regular exercise will help, but keep it light!
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    In terms of pedals. When I first got back riding after a broken leg I just used to clip in at the start of the ride on my bad leg and then only unclip at the end by taking my foot out the shoe and using my hands. That way I could ride with my pedals and shoes happily. It was 3 months after I started riding again until I was able to unclip at all with that leg and even now, nearly a year on it still hurts a bit to unclip.

I was suggested to try speedplay as they have a different motion and a light relese set of pedals, but just persevered with my Looks, on the lightest tension setting.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    sassse wrote:
    In terms of pedals. When I first got back riding after a broken leg I just used to clip in at the start of the ride on my bad leg and then only unclip at the end by taking my foot out the shoe and using my hands. That way I could ride with my pedals and shoes happily. It was 3 months after I started riding again until I was able to unclip at all with that leg and even now, nearly a year on it still hurts a bit to unclip.

I was suggested to try speedplay as they have a different motion and a light relese set of pedals, but just persevered with my Looks, on the lightest tension setting.

Yes i have also thought of trying the speedplays i'll see how things go