Switzerland guns: Living with firearms the Swiss way

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited March 2013 in The Crudcatcher
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912

and today
BREAKING NEWS:Police say several people killed in shooting incident at company in central Switzerland
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912

and today
    BREAKING NEWS:Police say several people killed in shooting incident at company in central Switzerland

A gunman killed two people and wounded
    seven others before being killed himself
    during a shooting at a factory in Lucerne,
    Switzerland, police have said.

A hotline was set up for families and
    employees of Kronospan, a wood panel
    factory in Menznau, police said, adding that
    the perimeter around the plant was sealed
    off.

Swiss news agency SDA quoted the rescue
    helicopter service REGA as saying it had
    flown four seriously injured people to
    hospital.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... oting.html

It is ridiculous, when somebody looses it the temptation is there.

I can't understand anybody being involved in the process of making land mines either.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    lets not forget, guns don't kill people, the bullets fired from those guns by absolute wierdos who think owning a gun is fun kill people.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    lets not forget, guns don't kill people, the bullets fired from those guns by absolute wierdos who think owning a gun is fun kill people.
    You are completely correct in that. Which is why making it as hard as possible for said lunatics to get a gun is a good thing.
  • sheepsteeth
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You are completely correct in that. Which is why making it as hard as possible for said lunatics to get a gun is a good thing.

completely agree.

i dont know why anyone anywhere is allowed to own anything other than a shotgun and even then, even they are too easy to own legally.
  • Agree, hate guns especially hand guns they are designed to kill people!

i can understand having a hunting weapon for sport use, but i don't see under any circumstances why people would ever need a gun. Horrible things.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Agree, hate guns especially hand guns they are designed to kill people!
    all the other kinds are just designed to scare them i suppose ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Personally I'm not a gun fan myself either.

But I do believe its more of a morality thing as the Swiss have 4th highest owner ship of gun's per capita but with a very low 0.5 per 100K homicide rate.

Think about it if you take guns out of the equation we have enough lunatics going round punching/kicking people to death, setting fire to their homes, stabbing etc. Just take a look at the nation press (though do take some with a pinch of salt) & you'll see that there are plenty of people out there killing people needlessly in a variety of ways all barbaric but all a refection of how evil the perpetrators are.

I have every sympathy with those poor people who died in this incident & others too in past incident but its not guns that kill people its people that kill people. Look at the numbers of gun deaths in the UK over the last 20 years it has gone up and is still doing so, but the ownership of guns has gone down since handguns were banned its a shocking statistic really.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • i can understand having a hunting weapon for sport use, but i don't see under any circumstances why people would ever need a gun. Horrible things.
    Chavs. That's a perfectly good reason for guns.

Though i suppose that mixes into the hunting comment.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Doesn't Canada have a high rate of gun ownership per capita, mainly for hunting, but very low rates of gun crime?
    I think it's really funny that the Yanks wanted to deport Piers Morgan for calling for stricter gun control. Of all the reasons for deporting that smug twunt they choose the only time he talked sense.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Doesn't Canada have a high rate of gun ownership per capita, mainly for hunting, but very low rates of gun crime?
    I think it's really funny that the Yanks wanted to deport Piers Morgan for calling for stricter gun control. Of all the reasons for deporting that smug twunt they choose the only time he talked sense.

True :lol:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    chez_m356 wrote:

Nope, they're designed to kill things other than people.

Agree with most of whats been said, but it doesn't even take a lunatic to kill someone with a gun. Imagine a time you were really pissed off - if you had access to a gun you might have used one. Doesn't make you a lunatic, makes you a pissed off person with a gun. I'd say what they actually do is make killing more accessible for the sane.
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    . Imagine a time you were really pissed off - if you had access to a gun you might have used one.

Your right having access is one thing, but I see death in our streets caused by people who are really pissed off and just batter people to death with their fists. More so than a legal gun owner who is pissed off and looses the plot and shoots someone due to our gun control laws, but in the UK since the ban on legal handgun ownership the number of deaths bu guns has increase not decreased so its not the licence system that is wrong.
  • EH_Rob
    We have one of the lowest homicide rates by firearms in the entire world as is it. I remember reading somewhere there were 50 or so gun related deaths last year, and about 30000 in the US. Also that our homicide rate by firearms is half of what Canada and Switzerland have, although admittedly they have much higher rates of ownership.

In terms of people killing other people - happens in most places I guess. Our homicide rate is 1.2 per 100000 people. That's slightly more than Denmark and Sweden. It isn't that bad really.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    In 2011 there were 14 murders and 21 manslaughters by guns in the UK. If thats an increase on the numbers since the ban on guns then thats just fine by me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Indeed we do have a relatively low rate, even though it is still scary to think about those poor people that are effected.

Gun control works in that it reduces the overall number of legal guns and gun owners. However when you look at the figures for gun deaths most are not by genuine owners & the numbers are hard to calculate as no illegal gun owners would put their info down on the census. Short of the destruction of all guns I guess we are only left with sensible gun control laws & stronger laws for those caught with illegal firearms and those importing and distributing them.
  • If it makes you all feel better, I'd shoot you without thinking, and I wouldn't be angry.

You can thank me later.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • If it makes you all feel better, I'd shoot you without thinking, and I wouldn't be angry.

You can thank me later.

No thanks I'm not that kind of guy & don't have a jail house soap on a rope :lol:
  • EH_Rob
    If it makes you all feel better, I'd shoot you without thinking, and I wouldn't be angry.

You can thank me later.

Aren't you about to move to Huddersfield? Thinking perhaps isn't your main strength ;)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    EH_Rob wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

very true
      barrett50cal.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • EH_Rob
      Ah yes, that covers more or less all the other types.
    • thekickingmule
      thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
      EH_Rob wrote:
      If it makes you all feel better, I'd shoot you without thinking, and I wouldn't be angry.

You can thank me later.

Aren't you about to move to Huddersfield? Thinking perhaps isn't your main strength ;)
      Moving to Yorkshire was the silliest thing. Now I'm here, I'll see how much of it I can destroy from the inside :twisted:
      Blender Cube AMS Pro
    • EH_Rob
      Haha! I grew up in Huddersfield, its actually alright...if casual racism is your thing.

I'm on a similar mission to you, but with Scotland.
    • sheepsteeth
      EH_Rob wrote:
      casual racism

the only thing that separate us from the animals
    • EH_Rob
      Personally I prefer to do things more formally, but fair point.
    • Thewaylander
      Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
      EH_Rob wrote:
      chez_m356 wrote:

How so is hand gun designed to kill anything but a person? the fact that it can is a different matter all together. A rifle is good for shooting at range, but hand gun is for relative close killing against people. i don't really see the need for personal ownership of any gun.

horrible things.
    • EH_Rob
      It's not, I was referring to types of guns other than handguns.
    • sheepsteeth
      i agree with waylander, there is no ryhme nor reason for owning a handgun, they are only designed for shooting people (we can talk about target shooting pistols at a later date)

a rifle is for game and target shooting, a shot gun is for the same. they can be used to kill people of course but it isnt necessarily their primary role and that is the major difference.

this is all refering to guns in the hands of civillians of course.
    • welshkev
      welshkev Posts: 9,690
      an american friend of mine who was a sniper in the army is adamant that americans should be allowed to own guns. he has about 30 of them. who the feck needs 30 guns ffs?
    • thekickingmule
      thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
      When the zombie army comes, and you're trapped in your house, ask yourself the same question! ;)
      Blender Cube AMS Pro
    • sheepsteeth
      welshkev wrote:
      an american friend of mine who was a sniper in the army is adamant that americans should be allowed to own guns. he has about 30 of them. who the feck needs 30 guns ffs?

that does seem odd to me.