My Ex

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited June 2013 in Your road bikes
Sadly no longer in the steed due to space restrictions... probably my finest hour in terms of cycling machines... the raciest frame I have ever owned... the last steel frame Look marketed, as used in the Tour de France 1996 by some unknown team. Sadly missed, but still hovering around North London, I am told...
Campagnolo Centaur groupset, the last nice one they did, hand built wheels on DT 240 hubs and DT 415/465 rims, a damn fine, lean and mean machine

P1010087.jpg
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Come on then what marvelous replacement have you got ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Come on then what marvelous replacement have you got ;-)

Nothing... downsizing... I am left with only this red one and the commuter... I've seen people in developing countries with more bikes!

DSC_4611.jpg
  • smidsy
    Yeah but what a red one it is, worth 10 Giants any day :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    sannino_01%255B1%255D.jpg

:?: :wink:
  • smidsy wrote:
    Yeah but what a red one it is, worth 10 Giants any day :-)

True, there aren't many Sannino left... there are 20 of us in the appreciation group on Facebook and mine is by far the best kept... Mr Sannino is also my friend on Facebook, but he keeps ignoring all my harrassments to know more about the frame... he just cares about the composite stuff he builds for the Krauts at Corratec nowadays... very dismissive of his days in Turin, I bet he's got a big unpaid tax bill back in Italy... :wink:
  • Gabbo wrote:

I tried to buy that one, but we didn't come to an agreement, he wanted too much money...
  • smidsy
    ... Mr Sannino is also my friend on Facebook, but he keeps ignoring all my harrassments to know more about the frame

Ha Ha , never had you down as a stalker :D

I imagine there are not many better that actually get used as a bike (as opposed to in a collection).

Really nice bike that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    ... Mr Sannino is also my friend on Facebook, but he keeps ignoring all my harrassments to know more about the frame

Ha Ha , never had you down as a stalker :D

I imagine there are not many better that actually get used as a bike (as opposed to in a collection).

Really nice bike that.

But I really really want the Lo Pro frame too... the same frame was on Ebay a few months back... a dutch guy was selling it but he wanted something like 700 pounds and it did need a respray, so that would have been close to 900 including new decals... it was just silly money for something I would only use to show off in Richmond Park...

But thinking again that's what all those boys on TT bikes and carbon wheels do... :wink:
  • That is lovely and elegant. The micro dropouts are gorgeous. I have broken the second commandment for I lust and coveted another man's ummm, well you know.

The team who rode these I believe was Mutuelle de Seine et Marne and also the original iteration of Big Mat which contained a tall red-haired Aussie sprinter called Jay Sweet. They started out on the lugged ones and then these frames took over.

This and the Lemond GLX were 2 of my fave steel bikes of the era.

Did you ever weigh the bare frame?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Gabbo wrote:

I tried to buy that one, but we didn't come to an agreement, he wanted too much money...

It's NEVER too much money when its the one you want!! :lol:

Jeez the money I would pay for a Medium (our size large) Klein Attitude HLF 1991/2 running campag and mavic 231's :roll: :roll: .. i would need a bank loan to match what I would be prepared to bid! :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    That is lovely and elegant. The micro dropouts are gorgeous. I have broken the second commandment for I lust and coveted another man's ummm, well you know.

The team who rode these I believe was Mutuelle de Seine et Marne and also the original iteration of Big Mat which contained a tall red-haired Aussie sprinter called Jay Sweet. They started out on the lugged ones and then these frames took over.

This and the Lemond GLX were 2 of my fave steel bikes of the era.

Did you ever weigh the bare frame?

Yes, frame only in 55 size was 1600 grams
  • ugo.santalucia
    And now the red Sannino got granted a new set of lightweights... Campagnolo Omega V tub rims on Mavic 501 hubs, DT comp rear and Sapim CX ray front

DSC_1263_zpsc35e1c09.jpg
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    that looks fantastic!
  • smidsy
    Really like the wheels, although yours may look better with dull Gold :-)

One heck of a bike that.

Now if only I can fix my tubs as neatly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks guys... taking her to the park tonight for a maiden ride on the new front wheel (I have tried the rear already) I hope it brakes! :?
  • That's a stunning looking bike. Have you had it resprayed? The paintwork looks mint.
  • ugo.santalucia
    That's a stunning looking bike. Have you had it resprayed? The paintwork looks mint.

Yes, it was resprayed in 2011 by Colourtech in Dartford... got the decals from Velocals in the USA
  • smidsy
    How was it then - did you stop!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:
    How was it then - did you stop!

Yes, the braking is good, I even locked the rear to avoid a suicidal squirrel... of course the CX ray spokes save me 20 Watts at 25 mph, which in turn means I am 19% faster... :lol:

They are good... it is difficult to say how good in Richmond Park, you need some kind of long descent to see how they handle and how they brake... it might be a while before they get some proper testing... there was half a plan to ride part of the Tour of Lombardy in September and there is the Etape Cymru... we'll see
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    and Sapim CX ray front

Hang on a minute there Ugo, I thought you didn't like CX Rays?
    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ray-spokes

Now I see you have built with them for yourself :lol:(Don't you just hate how the t'internet can bite you in the A$$)
    Come on, admit it you are comming around to the aero benefits aren't you?? :P :P :P

Still absolutely lovely bike by the way!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • ugo.santalucia
    Coach H wrote:
    and Sapim CX ray front

Hang on a minute there Ugo, I thought you didn't like CX Rays?
    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ray-spokes

Now I see you have built with them for yourself :lol:(Don't you just hate how the t'internet can bite you in the A$$)
    Come on, admit it you are comming around to the aero benefits aren't you?? :P :P :P

Still absolutely lovely bike by the way!!

Absolutely... and I have even used the alloy nipples that come with them... against all my rules, but unlike Zipp, SRAM and Shimano I took the precaution to treat the spoke threads with copper slip to avoid them binding to the nipple...
    What I do for myself and what I advise are not necessarily the same thing... if my wheel has a problem, I normally fix it... when I build for others I try to build more conservatively, so that the problem won't even show up... :wink:
    I only built the front with CX ray for mere tartiness, at the rear they are a waste of money and they are difficult to build properly, given the low tension on the non drive side.
  • smidsy
    Yes, the braking is good, I even locked the rear to avoid a suicidal squirrel... of course the CX ray spokes save me 20 Watts at 25 mph, which in turn means I am 19% faster... :lol:

Result. I only hope my Pianni rims do as well. :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ianho
    ianho Posts: 170
    Beautiful bikes. Especially the last one in red.
    Pinayellow Dogma 65.1
    Team Sky Dogma 65.1
    S-Works Venge F22 Raptor
    S-Works Roubaix B2 Bomber
    Van Nicholas B17 Flying Fortress
    Lynskey Captain America
    Intense Tracer