New helmet

garethfox
garethfox Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys as the title says im looking to get a new helmet, Whats best to look for in getting a new helmet apart from it fitting.

Which ones are people getting nowadays

Thanks
Gareth

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fit is more important than anything.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    garethfox wrote:
    Whats best to look for in getting a new helmet apart from it fitting.
    Personally I'd make sure it's the helmet that fits and not the retention system. The adjustable cradle often seems comfortable but if you can still get your fingers inbetween the helmet and your head then look elsewhere. Ideally you need as much of the helmet in contact with your head as possible to disperse an impact and in this respect a helmet without a retention system may be better. Urge Enduromatic is good but it has a round profile and ime comes up small, Giro/661/Fox more suited to oval-shaped heads
  • Fit is more important than anything.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Think he's looking for the extras in a helmet after the obvious good fit.

I'm after a new one as well, so far it's the 661 Recon that's top of the list.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • My head is the shape and size of a melon - only Giros fit. Other than that, you ideally want something that is light and has good venting so you don't get too overheated.
    If you are in trails etc, it would also make sense to get something MTB specific - the protection tends to be longer at the back, covering the back of your head. Adjustable peak is also good - keeps sun, rain and to a lesser extent flying mud out of your eyes.
    I'm using a Giro Hex at the moment. Fox Flux is similar but didn't feel as comfortable.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)