Padded "Baggy" Shorts

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
forgive me, for I have sinned.. it has been months since I last cycled..

I am not going to fit into my lycra, and last time I cycled to get back into it I wore normal shorts and my backside was pretty sore..

I've just had a look at Wiggle, I cannot find anything that are obviously padded 'baggy' shorts. Can anyone offer some advice about what is available?

thanks

Comments

• try some inner shorts then wear some normal ones over the top i have some madison baggy shorts from amazon came with liner shorts
  • Endura Humvee
  • PaulG99 wrote:
    Endura Humvee

+1

though to be honest, I'll never wear the padded liner unless I'm doing a sportive and even then, they are useless after a couple of hours anyway. Next time I'll take the liner and put them on at the half way/ 3/4 mark :)

Far better option - get used to your seat. I used padded liners etc for the first couple of months cycling then ditched them totally once my behind had 'hardened up'. I don't understand all these threads from experienced cyclists who insist on padded liners for their commute or other short rides, but I guess we're all different
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    Thanks I'll have a look into those Humvee
    I don't understand all these threads from experienced cyclists who insist on padded liners for their commute or other short rides

I'm not a 'experienced cyclist' - after cycling an hour to work , it was too painful to sit on the cycle home - it didn't really help motivate me to cycle the next day.
  • dancook wrote:
    Thanks I'll have a look into those Humvee
    I don't understand all these threads from experienced cyclists who insist on padded liners for their commute or other short rides

I'm not a 'experienced cyclist' - after cycling an hour to work , it was too painful to sit on the cycle home - it didn't really help motivate me to cycle the next day.

sorry wasn't aiming that at you!!!

as I say my experience was use them for a few months then see how you go without them. I didn't notice any difference in the end
  • My preferred baggy shorts with liner are the Endura MT500 Spray, the liner is excellent and the baggy outer is quite light and splashproof to boot. Here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec022288

or I have also grown to love my Endura Singletrack shorts, but they did not come with a padded liner but will accept the ones from the MT500 or another Endura Clickfast liner, here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... t-ec033128 (Updated design from my pair though).

I have a pair of XL Humvees with Liner that are way too big for me now and barely worn (I dropped from a 38" waist to 32" in the space of 12 months!) but when I did wear them they were very comfortable, but a little heavier than the Singletracks or MT500 shorts.

I don't have shares in Endura either!

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I find these nice and comfortable, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-mayhem-34-baggy-shorts/

Great for my 15 mile commute. And you get removable padded inner short too.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    padded bib shorts then endura humvee over the top (without its pad). Or trackie bottoms if its really cold :)
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've got Humvees for commuting. Love them.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    I have Madison baggy shorts. They're excellent. They have Lycra at the back at the top of the short which stops them riding down. They also came with a good pair of padded shorts. Picked the up off amazon.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    If it's as bad as you're suggesting I'd seriously consider seeing if the saddle is in the right position for you, and maybe even if the bike is the right size. I'm not sure any amount of padding is really going to help if you couldn't sit on your arse on the way home.

Sheldon's advice: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
  • +1 for the Humvees - I use the shorts in summer and long pants in winter. They're brilliant - the padded inner lining clicks in to them so there's no falling down. Plenty of closeable pockets.
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    well i always said slap me if i start wearing lycra when i started cycling but have recently been considering purchasing some padded shorts....for the longer rides at the weekend...dont want to spend a fortune around the 40 quid mark...oh and apologies for thread hijacking
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Baggy or non-baggy?

For baggies, I give a +1 to the Endura Humvees for £45. Otherwise, Altura Stream shorts are ok for £20, but if you are thinking of riding more than a couple of hours, I have found the Endura FS260 Pro shorts are excellent. I rode on them for nearly 5 hours and they were awesomely comfy. £55 but well worth it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    thanks mikey...had no pref whether baggy or non baggy...will check your recomendations out
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2