Powertap

philw80
philw80 Posts: 436
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Seriously considering getting a powertap elite-have found a 20 spoke campy one at a decent price, is it easy enough to swap over the free hub and axle?

Comments

• philw80 wrote:
    Seriously considering getting a powertap elite-have found a 20 spoke campy one at a decent price, is it easy enough to swap over the free hub and axle?

Yes... at least on the PRO one is...
    left the forum March 2023
  • philw80
    Great. Take it you have used one? What is your opinion? I'm happy with the reasoning for training by power, just umming and ahhhing as to whether to splash out
  • Never used one... don't even know how to make it work... but I have built a few on wheels for customers. Swapping the freehub is straighforward... one 5 mm Allen Key, one 17 mm cone spanner... undo the cap, remove the freehub, place the new one.. newer models might have different tools. There is a bit of a faff in older models with the spacers, but again, follow the instructions and it's dead easy...
    left the forum March 2023
  • philw80
    Fingers crossed :-)
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    newer PT hubs from 2011 onwards take a few seconds to change hubs - no tools needed as the freehub body just pulls right off and the a different one can be pushed on. No screws, bolts etc. Just put the skewer back through. Not sure if that applies to the Elite or just Pro+ and SL+ and above.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • philw80
    Which axle length would I need on a Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL? 12 or 15mm? Anyone know?