Cervelo R5 VWD 2012 - Dura Ace 9000

awsm
awsm Posts: 210
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
Recently purchased a 2012 Cervelo R5 VWD frameset. Finally have most of the parts so should be built up within the next couple of weeks:

(Update: Bike built photo post #2 and more on page 2)
CerveloR5VWD.jpg

Frame: 2012 Cervelo R5 VWD
Groupset: Dura-Ace 9000 50/34 & 11-28
Wheelset: Dura-Ace 9000 C24's
Forks: 3T FK33
Bars: 3T Team Stealth (Carbon)
Stem: 3T Team Stealth (Alloy)
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: 3T Team Black
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
Seat Post: 3T LTD Dorico
Pedals: Dura Ace 9000
Bottom Bracket: Rotor 4624 BBRight

Tyres: Continental Attack/Force

Accessories: K-Edge Chain Catcher, Garmin Mount, GC10
Bottle Cages: 2 * Arundel mandible
Weight: 6.4kg (complete w/ pedals & accessories)

Complete bike:
R52.jpg

Comments

• awsm
    edited February 2013
    Update: First photo of bike built up :) Sits at 6.2kg / 13.6lb

CerveloR5.gif
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Good lad
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    Can't wait for the full pictures. The build you've got planned looks excellent! Post pics ASAP!
  • "Build it, and they will come" (too see it).
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    That's a nice bit of kit...
  • Nice! Weight please.

50/34 and 11-28.

Planning on tackling some mountains?!

(That's the combo I use for the Alps)
  • OMG I can't contain the excitement - it's sitting on a scale and you're not telling us!

North or south of 900 grams?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • awsm
    It's been a busy week, but she's booked in for a build this coming Wednesday :mrgreen: . I was tempted to tackle it but decided for Warranty issues and getting her set up perfectly I would take it to a local authorised Cervelo dealer.

The weight of the frame in that photo is a smidgen under 770g :)
  • Hi, can I ask. The fork expanding bolt that comes wight he frame, does yours work ok? What I mean by that is you might want to check that it actually tightens to the fork. I have bought the same frame and just built mine and my local shop have scrapped my fork expanding bolt because its useless. When it was fitted there was still play in the fork. Something for you to consider because mine is all built now and finished apart from this 1 thing. Ordered a new 1 and now waiting or delivery. Looking fwd to seeing the pics.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    must resist and hide all cards..................
  • awsm
    Just got her back from the shop :D

6.2kg / 13.6lb fully built w/ pedals :o
    CerveloR5.gif

Booked in for a bike fit next week so wanted a bit left on the stem until then to make sure it's all set up properly. Feels insanely light can't wait to take her out. I'll update the OP when I get it outside and take some better photos.
  • Very nice! That's just a smidge lighter than my Supersix Evo. Is it a 54cm? Will be interested to see what you make of the R5 as I considered one before going with the Cannondale.

An incredibly beautiful bike you have there. Enjoy!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Jizzed
  • awsm wrote:
    Just got her back from the shop :D

6.2kg / 13.6lb fully built w/ pedals :o
    CerveloR5.gif

Booked in for a bike fit next week so wanted a bit left on the stem until then to make sure it's all set up properly. Feels insanely light can't wait to take her out. I'll update the OP when I get it outside and take some better photos.

Hi interested to know is this a claimed weight or actual weight on the scales?
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    matthew h wrote:
    must resist and hide all cards..................

looks fantastic - now trying to remember where I put my cards!
  • awsm
    Thanks for the comments, looking forward to a proper fit now then taking her out for a spin, fingers crossed for some good weather soon.
    Josh_No90 wrote:
    Very nice! That's just a smidge lighter than my Supersix Evo. Is it a 54cm? Will be interested to see what you make of the R5 as I considered one before going with the Cannondale.

An incredibly beautiful bike you have there. Enjoy!

It is indeed a 54. I considered a Cannondale before going for the R5 :P
    Crispyapp wrote:
    Hi interested to know is this a claimed weight or actual weight on the scales?

Actual weight for complete build w/ pedals done whilst I was collecting her in the shop :)
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Lovely bike....

Thinks.....I need to get mine lighter!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • BikeSwan
    Very nice! Considering that's roughly the same build iv'e got on my SuperSix I dont understand how you got it so light! My 63cm SuperSix Evo is 14.8lbs with the same finishing kit as you, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, and Dura-Ace 7900 w/ Hollowgram crank.
  • awsm
    Had a quick look at your build (very nice and good choice on finishing kit :P) the main differences appear to be:
    Ksyrium SL's + 120g,
    Saddle + 100g
    7900 on paper is + 71g,
    Frame? 54 vs 63cm
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    BikeSwan wrote:
    Very nice! Considering that's roughly the same build iv'e got on my SuperSix I dont understand how you got it so light! My 63cm SuperSix Evo is 14.8lbs with the same finishing kit as you, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, and Dura-Ace 7900 w/ Hollowgram crank.

14.8lbs is ridiculously light for a 63cm frame, mind.
  • BikeSwan
    Good point on the frame. I suppose most of the weight must come from that 9cm different frame size. Anyway . . . bravo for getting it so light!
  • awsm
    The Ultegra pedals were from my old bike and looking a bit scruffy so decided to finish the build off in complete DA 9000.

da9000spd.jpg

Old & new:
    oldSPDnewSPD.jpg
  • awsm
    More photos now w/ DA Pedals:

R5C.jpg

R5TR.jpg

r5tl.jpg
  • Josh_No90
    Josh_No90 Posts: 22
    awsm wrote:
    Had a quick look at your build (very nice and good choice on finishing kit :P) the main differences appear to be:
    Ksyrium SL's + 120g,
    Saddle + 100g
    7900 on paper is + 71g,
    Frame? 54 vs 63cm

Yeah, the frame size will make a massive difference. I'm running a 58cm Supersix (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12904186) and mine seems to slot in between the two of you at around 13.9lbs or so. I'm running pretty much the same finishing kit, except I've got the Ltd Ergonovas. My Kysriums are getting a little bit weighty (at 'hefty' 1550g :roll:) though the Red groupset is lighter than 9000 Dura Ace. But, the frame size will make one of the biggest differences.

Out of interest, awsm, those 9000 wheels are beautiful, and very light. Would it be possible to remove the Shimano stickers from the rims? I'm looking for a set of lightweight clinchers and I can't really stretch to R-Sys (and I'm a bit wary of the carbon spokes). I'd love a set of 9000 C24s, but I can't put them on with Shimano branding when I'm running SRAM. I'm far to OCD for that :lol:.
  • awsm
    Josh_No90 wrote:
    Out of interest, awsm, those 9000 wheels are beautiful, and very light. Would it be possible to remove the Shimano stickers from the rims? I'm looking for a set of lightweight clinchers and I can't really stretch to R-Sys (and I'm a bit wary of the carbon spokes). I'd love a set of 9000 C24s, but I can't put them on with Shimano branding when I'm running SRAM. I'm far to OCD for that :lol:.

Stickers are under the lacquer so you're out of luck im afraid. But they are amazing wheels for the price and tick all the right boxes :)
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Question is how much do you weigh?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • awsm
    pride4ever wrote:

No it isn't. But if you have a question on the build I'll be happy to answer.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    pride4ever wrote:

you-jelly.jpg
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    Yes, good lad.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    awsm wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

No it isn't. But if you have a question on the build I'll be happy to answer.

Take it all your money goes on the bike and creme buns then lardyboy lol.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.