Cinelli pedal straps???

Riggsy12
Riggsy12 Posts: 156
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Dont want to buy cycling shoes, dont want to use clipless pedals. But I saw these when browsing Wiggle, they do the same as clipless pedals right? Or am I wasting my money? Cheers :mrgreen:

Ps they dont come with the ugly ass pedals do they? They fit other flat pedals right?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-kink-toe-straps/

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    bejeez, you'll look like your wearing a pair of sandals, seriously think twice on this one :)

Unless of course your joking eh :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    bejeez, you'll look like your wearing a pair of sandals, seriously think twice on this one :)

Unless of course your joking eh :wink:

Nope wasn't joking... Just saw them and thought it was a great alternative?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    ahh well each to their own, why have you disregarded clipless?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Those are silly and trendy. I daresay they work to a degree, but if you really want the function of clips and straps, use proper ones. Metal clips (eg. Christophe, MKS) with leather straps. If you're really worried about being able to get your foot out, you should have no trouble whatsoever if you loosen the straps all the way.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Clipless are far superior if you do any distances at all on the bike.

If you just want the strap to keep your shoe on the pedal in the right place then they'll be OK.

Trickier to get into than double sided clipless though, and you wont be able to pull up on the pedal as much if you climb.
  • Riggsy12 wrote:
    Dont want to buy cycling shoes, dont want to use clipless pedals. But I saw these when browsing Wiggle, they do the same as clipless pedals right? Or am I wasting my money? Cheers :mrgreen:

Ps they dont come with the ugly ass pedals do they? They fit other flat pedals right?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-kink-toe-straps/

You're a fool. Stick to walking or get a cab.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another one here that swears by clipless. However, if you want clips and straps, I'm not sure these are the way to go. They have the faf of leather straps if using them properly (need to do them up while riding along and release them before getting your foot out) but I'm not sure you can use them loose and have the option of just using toe clips to keep your feet in place.

Maybe strapless plastic half clips will be better:

1257941674898-1tnmzoqhwu8r-399-75.jpg

Or twist in Power Grips that you don't need to tighten and release - but you need to twist in and out of like clipless: powergrips.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Cinelli straps if OK you are a cool, hipster dude who wants to ride their fixie wearing their Converse trainers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    The Cinelli straps if OK you are a cool, hipster dude who wants to ride their fixie wearing their Converse trainers.

The world would be so much better if we were all complying with this...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    g00se wrote:
    They have the faf of leather straps if using them properly
    I think tightening the straps of toe clips is improper use. If you want that degree of efficiency, clipless is safer, if you want the convenience of using any-shoes, lose straps are good enough. I have ridden very long distances using lose straps.
    The only advantage of these newfangled straps is, possibly, if you are riding shiny leather shoes and dont want to scratch the uppers.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    g00se wrote:
    I think tightening the straps of toe clips is improper use. If you want that degree of efficiency, clipless is safer, if you want the convenience of using any-shoes, lose straps are good enough. I have ridden very long distances using lose straps.
    The only advantage of these newfangled straps is, possibly, if you are riding shiny leather shoes and dont want to scratch the uppers.

+1... I don't tighten the straps when I use them... I've done the Eroica 3 times and never felt the need to be strapped tighter...
    People are too needy, that's the reality
    left the forum March 2023
  • MichaelW wrote:
    g00se wrote:

I did plenty of cycling with loose straps before I started tightening them, but whilst a loose strap will always be easier and safer, I have never failed to weasel my foot out of a tightened one in an unanticipated stop. I run clipless on my main bike now but I do really like the feel of a tight leather strap for cycling. I missed it to start with.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Tightly secured straps for maximum effeciency used to be a way of seeing who was committed riding up a steep hill (aka get up it or fall off)

I don't miss my numb winter feet from the compression of the straps and neither searching around for extra long Christophe toe clips - clipless is much easier and better with size 49 shoes.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • farrina wrote:
    I don't miss my numb winter feet from the compression of the straps

I have to admit, I agree with you on this one!