Fallen off my new defy1 at first corner? Why?

stevelloydis
stevelloydis Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi am new to this site , I had my first ride on defy 1 today unfortunately on my first corner the bike slid out from under me ! Only 5 miles old, bent derailer, torn bar tape torn body! What I would like to know is wether it is because the tyres have no tread on them, as I was on all weather armadillo before and had no problem on this mildly wet corner at a faster pace, or is it that the tyres are brand new and not bedded in? if they are always going to be that slippery in wet I will have to change them ?
Thanks Steve

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Some new tyres seem to have a factory coating on them that needs wearing off before use in the wet, I know Vittoria corsa cx do because I had to head back home after heading out in the wet, it was almost like being on ice.
    As soon as you've done a few dry miles and worn the film off they're fine in the wet.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Diesel on the road, maybe? I noticed it was a lot slippier yesterday, following a bit of overnight drizzle on the greasy surface.

I don't think the tread would be the issue.
  • Sorry to hear that. Nobody wants to bend their brand new bike.

The lack of tread shouldn't make any real difference to the grip. In theory they should grip better due to more contact area.

There's a lot of discussion on here about the best wet weather tyres, personally I like Conti 4 seasons but you may want to go back to your Armadillos.

Are you sure you didn't slip on something like a wet manhole cover or a spill on the road?
  • Tread on a tyre does not equate to grip, its the rubber compound of the tyre that gives you the grip.

As others have said it could have been anything on the road & often oil/diesel can be V hard to spot especially if your going into a corner and by the time you have its often too late anyway.

Unless you have gone through the tyre (unlikely as presume it too was new) then I doubt you need to change them as they a make/model they do seem to get good reviews.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just as an aside - I had a new bike bent by a silly fall - it broke the hanger so needed to replace that. I rang the LBS who sold us the bike and explained what happened and they were so shocked at not being blamed for a broken hanger that they fitted it for free
  • I posted in another thread about my LBS helping with a parts warranty claim that was out of the warranty, result new part (£200 ish) fitted for free and free cables. Overall impression is that my LBS will have my business for a long time too come.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Roads were very greasy today, felt the rear wheel slide three times today in corners.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Your lack of experience is what put you on your arse.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Similar thing happened to me recently. Was going about 15mph as I went around a corner, approaching a crossing and front wheel just slipped - wasn't even turning sharp. I assumed it may have been some petrol since it was a spot where cars often stop.
    pride4ever wrote:
    Your lack of experience is what put you on your ars*.

And you know this, how?
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    wheezee wrote:
    Diesel on the road, maybe? I noticed it was a lot slippier yesterday, following a bit of overnight drizzle on the greasy surface.

I don't think the tread would be the issue.

This reminded me of me this morning. Went around a roundabout on my commute, same bike I've used for the last however long, same speed as usual (not very fast) and my back wheel skidded out, lucky was on flat pedals so but my inside foot down.

I was surprised to say the least.
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    Quite often find that at roundabouts with petrol stations on them. People fill up to the top and when they go round the corner, the fuel leaks from the overflow spout. I have a little sporty 4-wheeled number and it can be a nightmare if it's just been raining. Very tricky on a motorbike as well so I hear
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    Similar thing happened to me recently. Was going about 15mph as I went around a corner, approaching a crossing and front wheel just slipped - wasn't even turning sharp. I assumed it may have been some petrol since it was a spot where cars often stop.
    pride4ever wrote:
    Your lack of experience is what put you on your ars*.

And you know this, how?

Because your opening question smacks of inexperience.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Seen this before with first ride on a new bike. Usually it's because the rear brake is set quite close and you accidentally lock the rear as you're not used to it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thank you everyone for your replies, from your responses I am going to assume there was something on the road especially as on a steep hill before the roundabout the rear wheel gripped ok while standing up. I bent the hanging arm of derailer back into shape and other than a scratch or two the bike did better than me. I bought shimano rs 20 wheels and armadillo tyres only a few months ago to upgrade my sirrus comp an I think I will still put these on the defy.
    Got home safe and sound and very quickly considering I was taking it very easy, bike just glided along at a great pace, really looking forward to taking a few minutes of my regular hour commute
    Thanks again for all your comments
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    binding front brake or hub is another thing to check, if you are dragging the front its always more likely to slip out.

tyres need a bit of heat in too, plus a scrubbing for the fires 50 or so miles. The other option is wrong pressure.
  • Could have been the front brake catching as on the ride home it definitely felt quicker and I gave it a once over at work and gave the brakes a little more clearance, tyre pressure was good though pumped up tyres prior to ride
    Thanks
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    Are you sure the pressures in the tyres were high enough?

edit: nevermind - just saw the last post!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Bozman wrote:
    Some new tyres seem to have a factory coating on them that needs wearing off before use in the wet, I know Vittoria corsa cx do because I had to head back home after heading out in the wet, it was almost like being on ice.
    As soon as you've done a few dry miles and worn the film off they're fine in the wet.

could well be the cause,i fell off a few years ago,on new tyres no faster round a corner than usual,owning a motorbike as well,motorbike shops advise you to ride 80-100 miles gradually using the tyres more,leaning a bit more each time,to scrub them in