Please help me find the right bike?!?!

rmbingham
rmbingham Posts: 30
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
I've found what seems to be a great bike a Mekk 2G Poggio P2.0 105 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/ ). Good components a 8.6kg weight. I can get it for £839. Seems like a great deal.

I've also seen a Cannondale Saynapse Apex 2012, of which I can buy for £1115 ( http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... b65s6p4510 ).

However I have one last bike in consideration, a Cannondale CAAD10 105 2012 model. ( http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec031694 ) I have spoken to Evans and they have told me they will reduce the price below £1199, however I won't buy this unless they give me a price below £1050.

Please help me choose the right bike, I've been cycling for just over a year on a hybrid.
Cycling Put the fun between your legs ;)
Scott Sportster 60
Mekk 2G Poggio P2.5 Ultegra
Twitter: @rosybingham

Comments

• All 3 are good for the money, though you are getting a slightly better deal on the 2012 model.

First thing to consider is going and getting on the bike & asking for a test ride as whilst you might get the right size in all 3 bikes they will feel different and you need to know which one you get on with.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Assuming you are a just starting out i would go for the Synapse. It will be comfy have a good gear ratio with the Apex and will have a higher resale value if you decide road biking is not for you plus its upgradable. The Caad is also a great bike but its more agressive in terms of comfort.
  • I should be giving the Synapse and the CAAD10 a test ride in the next few days, but the Mekk seems to be really good value for money, It's highly unlikely that I will stop riding because i love it so much so ignoring any resale values am I better off getting the slightly cheaper mekk and upgrading when/if I feel it's necessary.

My main problem is at the moment I can't afford either of the cannondales im around £150- £200 off, so I'm not sure whether to wait another couple of months to get the money for the Cannondale's, bearing in mind road season has already begun, or just go for the Mekk as I can already afford it...

I'm also not too sure how much comfort is actually going to bother me as my hybrid is not confortable and if I'm still riding regulary next year i'll probably buy a much more expensive bike them anYWAY.....
    Scott Sportster 60
  • Well if your plan is to possibly buy another bike in a years time & can't afford either Dale then its sounds simple?

By the way these are some reviews of the Mekk which seem to come up very well for the money, its not a brand I know too much about but seems good on paper;
    viewtopic.php?t=12838573&p=17466986
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... -in-31940/

Plus if your nice & ask on BR I'm sure that someone has a wiggle voucher code that will get you even more off as the last lot were only emailed about a week ago.

If you like the bike after a year you might just want to save your money & invest in a few upgrades to the bike. Or you could quite easily make it a winter bike and have a new one as your summer ride.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Okay, thanks this has really helped me and I'm almost certainly going to order the Mekk today, before I do have you seen any other bikes in the £850 price range that is as good, I just want to make sure I've not missed anything.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around to see if I can find people with vouchers but I'm not sure where to look.
    Scott Sportster 60
  • Okay, thanks this has really helped me and I'm almost certainly going to order the Mekk today, before I do have you seen any other bikes in the £850 price range that is as good, I just want to make sure I've not missed anything.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around to see if I can find people with vouchers but I'm not sure where to look.
    Scott Sportster 60
  • No but if you check the wiggle reviews it does come up with good marks from owners.

Just do a quick search of the major sellers on line inc Wiggle, Chain Reaction, J E James, Evans for the price bracket to see what main brands you can get. You will always find that manufactures cut a few corners somewhere with either own brand, or cheaper components in one area or another.

Then check people direct such as Boardman (which you can pick up in halfords), Rose (direct from Germany) Canyon (direct) and probably a few others.

But as I said if you post an add for someone with a spare Wiggle voucher code I'm sure someone will help you out - mine has just been used sorry. At least you can try to get some more money off :D
  • rmbingham wrote:
    Okay, thanks this has really helped me and I'm almost certainly going to order the Mekk today, before I do have you seen any other bikes in the £850 price range that is as good, I just want to make sure I've not missed anything.

How about a Giant Defy 1 for £899? Won a £1000 grouptest in Cycling Plus recently. Better bike than the Synapse imo and the Mekk is unproven and is a more racy geometry which might be a stretch coming from a hybrid.

£899 is an offer price from Chris's Bikes in Girton, Cambs. £100 cheaper than anywhere else I looked.

I am a bit biased as I bought a Defy 0 off him a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love it so far after 100 miles or so.