Topeak Track Pump - Gauge Correct?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited February 2013 in Road general
I have a Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump and used it today to pump up / check the pressure of the tyres on my new road bike. I had 110psi in mind for the rear but it suddenly became hard to pump past 60psi and the tyre felt quite hard. Is this normal and am I supposed to pump on to 110psi? It just felt like it would explode if I even reached 70.

I've ordered a £10 digital gauge to double check before I do this but thought I'd ask you knowledgable people while it's in the post :)

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Track pumps (any make) should breeze upto 100 psi. Sounds like it is faulty or there is user error.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Track pumps (any make) should breeze upto 100 psi. Sounds like it is faulty or there is user error.
    Thanks, I've unscrewed the valve, deflated the tyre and inflated again to "60 psi".
    My mtn bike tyres go to 40psi with the same pump. I guess it should be showing about 80?

Don't think there's anyway to calibrate it :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You got an inflated car tyre you can try it on? Stick the Schraeder connection on, give it a pump, gauge should be showing 30 psi or thereabouts.

My Joe Blow pump gets a bit harder past 80 psi on the bike tyres, but all mine are 25s so that's as far as I want to go
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Track pumps have different maximum limits on them. The first track pump I had only went up to 60psi, probably meant for mountain bikes.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    CleeRider wrote:
    I have a Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump and used it today to pump up / check the pressure of the tyres on my new road bike. I had 110psi in mind for the rear but it suddenly became hard to pump past 60psi and the tyre felt quite hard. Is this normal and am I supposed to pump on to 110psi? It just felt like it would explode if I even reached 70.

I've ordered a £10 digital gauge to double check before I do this but thought I'd ask you knowledgable people while it's in the post :)
    Funny that, because I sometimes have the same issue with my Topeak Joe Blow Sport II.
    I think it is very sensitive as to how it is positioned on the tube valve, which is quite annoying.
    I am sure if positioned correctly that the gauge will be accurate, but getting it positioned correctly is the problem.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I have this pump Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump and bought it originally for MTB.

Pumping up to 110psi does seem hard but it does get there. I am pumping 25c tyres. My Dad has a high end decathlon pump and this does take less effort and feels 'nicer'.

Another thing I noticed with the Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump is that trying to 'top up' tyre pressures in nigh on impossible unless I deflate the tyre under 80psi. I have to violently push the plunger down to break the seal at 80psi or therabouts.

Does anyone else have this top up issue with other pumps?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    According to Joe Blow its rated to 120psi.

Seems as though it is not their best product.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Marcusww wrote:
    I have this pump Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump and bought it originally for MTB.

Pumping up to 110psi does seem hard but it does get there. I am pumping 25c tyres. My Dad has a high end decathlon pump and this does take less effort and feels 'nicer'.

Another thing I noticed with the Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump is that trying to 'top up' tyre pressures in nigh on impossible unless I deflate the tyre under 80psi. I have to violently push the plunger down to break the seal at 80psi or therabouts.

Does anyone else have this top up issue with other pumps?

I have this issue with my Joe Blow pump - have to deflate to inflate, when all I want to do is top up.
  • OK, the digital gauge arrived in the post today. I checked both tyres on my new road bike:
    rear 60psi
    front 80psi

So the Topeak appears to be showing the correct reading afterall, however the tyres feel hard and I don't appear to be able to pump them up further. Am I supposed to follow this advice?
    Marcusww wrote:
    I have to violently push the plunger down to break the seal at 80psi or therabouts.
    Which seal are you referring to?

Being a newbie to road bikes, I'm scared the tube/tyre is going to explode if I go crazy with the pump.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I believe it is quite normal for the presta valve to stick requiring the pressing in of the valve, letting out a bit of air to unstick it. I've not had to press it for more than my reaction time to unstick it, thereafter I can pump it back up.
  • Just had another go and got it to 95psi by doing lots of tiny pumps at the bottom of the chamber, if you know what I mean.
    I didn't go further as I'm not sure of my ideal pressures - I only weigh 68kg. Need to do some research.
    Hopefully I'll now go faster than I did this morning when the rear was only at 60psi.