Is Shimano 9 Speed Becoming Difficult to Find

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Gents, is my imagination or are Shimano 9 speed components becoming a bit more difficult to find?

I do not mean impossible, just a bit more, you got to really start looking for it or 'Sorry, we have not got any of those, not sure when will getting more in'

Is 9 speed being discontinued??? Dios, I hope not, twas bad enough when they dropped 7 and then 8!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what you mean just like 8 spd was?

it will be available for many many years. just may not be any new versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    nicklouse wrote:
    what you mean just like 8 spd was?

Exactly, just seems a bit to déjà vu
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Gents, is my imagination

Yep.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    if 9 speed kit is being fased out, i take it a 10speed cassette will fit on a wheel that was 9speed ?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    swod1 wrote:
    if 9 speed kit is being fased out, i take it a 10speed cassette will fit on a wheel that was 9speed ?

Yes everything fits exactly as 9 speed its just the mechs and shifters are not interchangeable between the two.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    swod1 wrote:
    yes but it is not being phased out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Gents, is my imagination or are Shimano 9 speed components becoming a bit more difficult to find?

I do not mean impossible, just a bit more, you got to really start looking for it or 'Sorry, we have not got any of those, not sure when will getting more in'

Is 9 speed being discontinued??? Dios, I hope not, twas bad enough when they dropped 7 and then 8!

I have just bought 2 9 speed XT rear mechs both with GS medium cages. The 2 cost me £45 dont need them but they are going in a cupboard till I do, going to stock up on good quality 9 speed stuff as and when I see it cheap.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    nicklouse wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    yes but it is not being phased out.

I believe it is in the XT and SLX range, we wont see any new model XT or SLX 9 speed kit once current stocks have gone. Not sure about Deore but Acera is now 9 speed and is pretty good for the price.

edit: That just applies to retail stuff dont know about OEM
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    It's certainly not being discontinued, just being pushed down a few models by the looks of it. As you know Deore entered the 10speed market last year, and this new 2013/14 Deore looks like it will be 10 speed only. It appears 9 speed will be dropping down to Alivio and Acera. Unfortunate for 9 speed users like myself, I would certainly buy a 9 speed Shadow+ mech if it were available! It appears to be Shimanos way of saying "10 speed is the new 9 speed, Keep up!" I may have to seriously think about changing to 10 speed soon!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As many bikes are still being built with 9 speed, I'm not sure how people think it's being phased out or no more stock coming it! I can't see Shimano stopping producing XT/SLX in 9 for a while yet despite what stubs says.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    As many bikes are still being built with 9 speed, I'm not sure how people think it's being phased out or no more stock coming it! I can't see Shimano stopping producing XT/SLX in 9 for a while yet despite what stubs says.

yeah it would make sense to keep 9 speed and maybe they are just developing new models for 10 speed as they think that is where the market is ?
  • stubs

I did say retail and that I wasnt sure about OEM. If you check the main Shimano website XT and SLX are only listed as 10 speed. However if you go to the Madison site who are the UK shimano importers they still list some 9 speed XT and SLX. As far as I can see XTR is only 10 speed these days and what happens at the top nearly always applies to the groups below it over the next few years. Its exactly what happened to 8 speed it died over about 3 years first disappearing at the top and then disapperaing steadily as new groups were released down the range.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But if they make them for OEM< why would retailers not get them? Retail needs to lag the phase out at OEM for spares surely....that is what has happened with 8.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.