warning:- Rougue MTB'er on the loose/ buying advice req'd.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,976
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hello there my thin wheeled foes, I might have an incling of joining the dark side but need some help.

I ride mountain bikes for fun but being a fairly hefty chap (15st) I've been running for a while to shift some weight but it's playing havoc with my knees.

MTBing for all its muddy goodness isn't the best way of keeping a steady excersise rate so I'm thinking that riding on the road a few times a week is going to help me out.

I do appreciate quality components as much as the next cyclist so am thinking that 2nd hand is the way to go however I have no idea what frame size to even consider in the classified add's. I'm 5'10 and have a 32" (ie regular size jeans etc) leg if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I suppose the best way to find out is to go to a bike shop but I also don't like wasting peoples time window shopping.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Frame size 54 - 56. I have both. At just under 5'10" the 54 is a better fit. I put a shorter stem on the56 eventually.

There are websites which have interactive frame sizing tools. Have a Google.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Different companies state sizes differently (much like MTB) but you find road frame fit need to be more spot on as you're in the one position a lot of the time, rather than shifting about on a mountain bike.

But a good starting point would be a 'standard' 54cm frame. I'm 5'9" with a 30" jeans and would not fit a 56cm. It's better to err on the side of too small rather than too big.
  • See thats the sort of reason that made me sway from the online calculators.

I suppose it might be worth venturing into a shop to waste some time...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As a starter, this is better than most:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

but hit the shops - you've a valid excuse to go play with the new, shiny stuff...!
  • Definitely get to the shops..

Just be honest with them when you walk in, I honestly havent had bad service from one LBS.

I just walked in same situation as you.. I have been MTB`ing for some time and want to switch to Road.. Not sure what size.. I have X Amount to spend and am currently just looking for the best fit by doing a bit of shopping around..

I must have ventured to 4 or 5 and sat on all manner of frame sizes and makes and models.. In the end i did actually feel bad for ordering my bike online :( but i got a good deal being end of the line etc etc and after all the frame sizes I had sat on over that one weekend I knew the frame size would be spot on!
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012