Tyres

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Have got an oldish Genisis Day One Hybrid on 23c tyres, the old body really isnt as well as it used to be and the ride on the bike presently is uncomfortable (feel every grain of sand). Would I benefit from up-sizing to a broader tyre (space dependant) to give me a more comfortable ride.
P.S.:- large bloke 100-115psi in the tyres , 8-10 mile hilly commute

Comments

• I recommend having a try on these in 25mm. Depends on your budget i suppose. The wider the tyre that will clear your frame [the rear is likely to be tightest fit] the more comfortable but slightly slower ride. You might even manage a 28mm.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... prix.shtml
  • +1 for upping to 25mm. Conti Gatorskins would be my choice
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Took the road bike out for a spin at the weekend and was blown away. First leg of the journey was 25 miles and I averaged 20mph, without really appearing to work that hard, that is until the rear tyre blew.

Whilst swapping the tubes around I noticed that the GP4000s have in fact perished or worn until they're paper thin and I can see canvas in the cracks; very carefully negotiated the direct route home upon seeing that.

So I've narrowed it down to

Rubino Pro
    Durano or Durano +
    GP4000 again and ignore that the current set only managed a puny 3000 miles.

any other suggestions / recommendations (not going to run Gatorskins or the hardshell variant though)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    I have a Genesis Croix de Fer and went down the so called puncture resistant tyres, like Gatorskin, Durano 25-28 mm etc with various degrees of success... the problem is that after 1000 miles they are full of cuts and after 2000 they are good for the bin...

more recently I have tried some touring tyres, specifically 32 mm Vittoria Randonneur PRO. They are awesome... on the road you barely notice you are on a touring tyre, hence they are fast, I would say 1mph slower than a top of the range fast rolling clincher like Corsa CX... but it is off-road that they are a revelation, they take anything from stones to mild muddy tracks. Also, unlike cross tyres, you need to stab them with a stiletto to puncture them... they are not the cheapest tyres, but I bet they last 10,000 miles.
    They do fit on any rim, I have them on Open PRO and I have bashed them down rocky descents with no problem whatsoever... i don't think I will ever go back to skinny road tyres for my commuter
    left the forum March 2023
  • gbsahne001
    I have a Genesis Croix de Fer and went down the so called puncture resistant tyres, like Gatorskin, Durano 25-28 mm etc with various degrees of success... the problem is that after 1000 miles they are full of cuts and after 2000 they are good for the bin...

more recently I have tried some touring tyres, specifically 32 mm Vittoria Randonneur PRO. They are awesome... on the road you barely notice you are on a touring tyre, hence they are fast, I would say 1mph slower than a top of the range fast rolling clincher like Corsa CX... but it is off-road that they are a revelation, they take anything from stones to mild muddy tracks. Also, unlike cross tyres, you need to stab them with a stiletto to puncture them... they are not the cheapest tyres, but I bet they last 10,000 miles.
    They do fit on any rim, I have them on Open PRO and I have bashed them down rocky descents with no problem whatsoever... i don't think I will ever go back to skinny road tyres for my commuter

I agree about the cuts etc. opted for the Rubino Pro in the end, I'll look at the Randonneur Pro when one of the 3 next next need a change
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I like my Durano plus tyres for commuting but having done about 550km on them they do have some big cuts in them. I will run these until they are no good and if I get a decent milage without too many p!"£$%^&s I will probably rebuy for this bike. If/when I get a new bike I think I may get something a little lighter and faster.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • gbsahne001
    menthel wrote:
    I like my Durano plus tyres for commuting but having done about 550km on them they do have some big cuts in them. I will run these until they are no good and if I get a decent milage without too many p!"£$%^&s I will probably rebuy for this bike. If/when I get a new bike I think I may get something a little lighter and faster.

I'm using some chunky tyres (38) on the hybrid, which don't really seem to have slowed it down that much (hills are a bit more noticeable though) and I've been really enjoying being back on it, especially being able to take it down tracks which I wouldn't have considered on 25s.

2a5n4eb.jpg
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    gbsahne wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I'm using some chunky tyres (38) on the hybrid, which don't really seem to have slowed it down that much (hills are a bit more noticeable though) and I've been really enjoying being back on it, especially being able to take it down tracks which I wouldn't have considered on 25s.

2a5n4eb.jpg

I had conti contacts on the bike before, less tread than than but still a lot slower than the duranos. My bike is also more of a road hybrid than a MTB based one, so whatever is on it tracks and mud are not great, or on the agenda!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I wasn't aware other people had the same problems with the durano pluses. I really like them, but after a bad cut in a 2 month old tyre left me with two punctures in a week I went an put a marathon plus on.

Now thats a heavy tyre!!

Am wondering whether or not to put something lighter on for the summer...or if I'll even notice
  • gbsahne001
    menthel wrote:
    I had conti contacts on the bike before, less tread than than but still a lot slower than the duranos. My bike is also more of a road hybrid than a MTB based one, so whatever is on it tracks and mud are not great, or on the agenda!

I don't think anybody had thought of whether a hybrid should be a road / mountain style hybrid when I bought mine in 96. I also use the travel contacts on the CX from time to time and find them OK but wouldn't really want to take them onto a flinty track.