First and main things to buy after new bike

Greeny1210
Greeny1210 Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just bit the bullet and got myself a new b'twin rockrider 5.2 (not rode a bike for almost 20 years, so a big deal for me and a lot of money at moment)

what would you guys say are the main things I should be getting myself for making it as much fun as possible and looking after the bike, so far got a cheap wireless odometer, pump, water bottle, cheapish lock and a cheap puncture repair kit

First Thing I noticed after my first ride today apart from the fat its harder than I thought and I am fatter and more unfit than I even realized is the seat is awful, very uncomfy, so any ideas on a replacement as cheap as possible (already gone way over what I was planning to spend so need to keep costs down as much as possible)

should I get some cheap lights, reflective stuff etc?
maybe a tool kit?
I am also thinking my daily attire of jeans and t-shirt/jumper wont be the best for cycling?
some kind of bag to carry things like keys/phone?
what are the things I need to keep an eye on going wrong?

sorry for all the questions I realize they probably sound really dumb to you guys, but I have no idea what I am doing, just want to get fit and enjoy some rides, on road and parks mainly, then when fit enough maybe head to the peak district.

cheers
Greeny

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are quite a few threads asking the same question, but I'd certainly get some tools and cleaners/oils/grease. Something like this will get you going with your bike:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Hand-8-P ... vi-content

Mudguards? You need better clothes to cycle in ie dedicated tops and bottoms. What about a camelbak type thing too?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride a bit before you think about a new saddle. It will take a while for your backside to get used to it. All you can do until then is suffer.
    But Charge Spoons seem to fit a lot of bums, cheap, and if you don't like them you can get most of your money back on Ebay.
    Whatever you do, don't get sucked in by highly padded, puffy saddles or gel covers. Comfy for five minutes, really bad after that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    A seat bag might be an idea to hold a spare inner tube, multitool etc.

You say the seat is uncomfortable try adjusting it forward or back to see if that makes any difference, the seat is on rails so can slide forward/back.

a floor pump is the best thing I've bought after getting a bike, makes inflating the tyres so much easier.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Padded Shorts
    Decent top a cheap footy jersey fom TKMaxx will work just fine
    Some baggy shorts cheapest way is buy some swimming shorts and cut out the stitched in inner brief and wear them over your padded shorts.
    Inner tubes. Buy about 6 you will need them
    Multi tool you dont need a fancy lightweight thing all you really use is the allen keys.
    some glasses cheap safety glasses work okay. You only get one pair of eyes and a twig in your eye hurts like a bastard

That should keep you going for a while till your nicely hooked and ready to flash the plastic for some upgrades.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • One of these from tesco is a good buy, makes life easier and can carry everything you need too

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydra ... 5-1572.prd
  • Those Rockrider saddles are just plain nasty things & weigh a ton too.

I replaced mine with a SDG belair but others swear by charge spoons. Both can be had quite cheaply.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • cheers guys, forgot to add I already got mudgaurds and a helmet (look a right tail in it as well cause ive got a fat round face lol)

Just ordered one of those charger spoons from ebay for £17, probabaly get a tool kit next but no idea what I am doing, I can't even change a inner tube at moment, In fact I can't even work out how I will change the saddle yet

Planned my 2nd ride for this morning however on waking my inner thighs and ass is killing and my legs are struggling, thought I would be a bit fitter with walking a few miles each day.
    Have to take it easy as at times I didn't feel comfy at all and around any traffic I get a bit paranoid, suppose I just need to get used to it all.
  • Bike time is the answer, you will be surprised how fit you will become with regular riding. Just push youself that little bit extra each time!

When I started last year I couldnt believe how much my thighs were burning after only a couple of miles, but with time this soon gets better and before you know it you will be spinning away for hours no problem!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Also forgot to add, how the hell do you repalce/remove the seat on these bikes? Tried using an allen key on the most logical spot but will it hell as like shift