Quick pedal question

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
So I made a slight error and now I need to buy new cranks and pedals (they are both seized and no-one can get them out, plus the pedal bearings are pretty dead).

The cranks I'm sorted with as there's such a limited choice for 11speed groupsets, so I'm replacing like for like.

With the pedals however, I'm getting fed up of Time. Yes when they work, they are fantastic, but for the past few years I've managed to get through a pair a year. But the problem is I'm not sure what to go for instead, I'm tempted to just say "sod it" and get a pair of Ultegra pedals (carbon of course), but speedplays have taken my eye. Though I don't know much about them, and I cant find much of an opinion of them.

Can someone suggest a decent set of pedals (at around £100) for someone that has dodgy knees?
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• What do you mean by get through a pair? In what way have they failed? I still have the original pair of RXS that I got in 2005.

I did try a pair of Speedplay a couple of years ago and didn't get along with them, just couldn't get them setup right. If this has something to do with the lack of lateral float I'm not sure. But I do think they are more solid in their contruction that Time. Same with Shimano SPD SLs.
  • What do you mean by get through a pair? In what way have they failed? I still have the original pair of RXS that I got in 2005.

I did try a pair of Speedplay a couple of years ago and didn't get along with them, just couldn't get them setup right. If this has something to do with the lack of lateral float I'm not sure. But I do think they are more solid in their contruction that Time. Same with Shimano SPD SLs.

Die as in the bearings go, there's tonnes of play and it gets worn down the the point where there's a noticeable indent on the axle where it has ground down. They last me around 7-10k miles before dieing, I'm not esp that much of a grinder on the gears, I thought. So I don't think I'm esp hard wearing on them.

Plus near to where I live non of the LBS sell Time cleats it seems, just Look or Shimano. So moving away from time just makes sense IMO.

I've just settled for a pair of Look KEO Blade Carbon's and lets see how they do.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • The looks are pretty good IMO irrespective of which model, but looks like you have gone for a good versions though anyway. The cleats are a bit soft and can take a bit of a battering if you walk on them, but mine last about 2 years before needing to be replaced. Plus I find them pretty easy to clean up & lube.

Hope you like them.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.