Giant Trance - Tubeless conversion question

cambo
cambo Posts: 125
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone converted a Trance to tubeless? It is the 2012 version and has the Giant rims, these have quite a thick rim tape fixed in, a lot thicker than the rim tape supplied with the Joes kit.

I am struggling to get the supplied rubber seal to sit in the rime, and to get the tire (non tubeless Nobby Nic) to seat. I was thinking of ripping out the existing tape and install the Joes tape?

Was also thinking of getting a UST tire. Or getting a full tubeless rig. Both are expensive options.

Ta

Cambo

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    According to my LBS my rims are tubeless ready. I took that to mean that I didn't need rim tape, just tubeless tyres and sealant.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Thanks for that, I guess that makes sense, might try and pick up a valve tomorrow and try... A non-tubeless tire should still work tho, shouldn't it?

There is a reason tubeless tyres exist.

You will need either "tubeless ready" + some sealant, or a UST tyre.
  • cambo wrote:
    Thanks for that, I guess that makes sense, might try and pick up a valve tomorrow and try... A non-tubeless tire should still work tho, shouldn't it?

Not neccessarily, I've had no problems running Maxxis Swampthings & Crossmarks and Kenda Nevegals & Slant Sixes - all of which are not "tubeless ready" or UST - tubeless with no issues at all. Running Ghetto with cut 20" BMX tubes BTW.
  • Proutster wrote:
    cambo wrote:

Not neccessarily, I've had no problems running Maxxis Swampthings & Crossmarks and Kenda Nevegals & Slant Sixes - all of which are not "tubeless ready" or UST - tubeless with no issues at all. Running Ghetto with cut 20" BMX tubes BTW.

cambo isn't running a ghetto conversion.

so he'll need a tyre that seals properly to the rim.
  • ZMC886
    ZMC886 Posts: 10
    You can run non-tubeless tires at higher pressures like 40-50 psi safely on tubeless rims, also more robust tires with thick side-walls like Minions at lower pressures are usually fine, although I prefer not to.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Quite a lot of rims are fine with it, the Stans ones for example can run non-tubeless tyres without a strip, pretty much any pressure you like. Never had mine burp and certainly never done anywhere near 40+ PSI.

Panceti and Superstar Sentinel too afaik, not sure what else would work. I ran my old XT wheelset with non-tubeless tyres briefly. You just need a bit of sealant to fill the initial few holes, even just 30ml or so is normally more than enough.

I've run non tubeless Nobby Nics, Racing Ralphs, Maxxis Ardents, Kenda Nevegals, multiple Specialized tyres, Maxxis High Rollers, loads of things. Not once has the sidewall split. Mounted a £15 non-tubeless On-One Chunky Monkey on my Five on Tuesday come to think of it (which was a bargain, sealed up instantly too, hasnt needed pumping up).
  • Yeah, it might work with a non tubeless tyre. Then again, it might not. You're in a world of unsureness...

I could rephrase my post, adding the words "to have some certainty it will work", if it wasn't obvious.