Pro team kit

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited March 2013 in Road general
Where to buy?

I mean the actual team issue, not replicas? I do remember finding a place last year but cannot for the life of me remember the name.

Is it worth it, or are the replica versions good enough?
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• Depends on which team your looking for?

Some sell both the replica & pro team kit but expect to pay more for the pro version.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    And then expect to be ridiculed for dearing to wear it by the cycle clothing police ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • You can buy pro Sky team kit on the Rapha site

But Smidsy is right ;)
  • smidsy wrote:
    And then expect to be ridiculed for dearing to wear it by the cycle clothing police ;-)

Was going to point this out but seem's like the OP really wants some team kit, so mind made up
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • goonz
  • goonz
    Thanks for the hints and tips, personally I could not care what the cycle police would say, I really want to try it out if there is a discernable difference between pro and replica kit.

I know its mega expensive but would be nice having one piece for those special trips.
  • goonz
    Beckers62 wrote:
    You can buy pro Sky team kit on the Rapha site

But Smidsy is right ;)

I am a fan of Rapha clothing albeit not the colour scheme they have, but I actually preferred the adidas kit to the new one. Just doesn't ooze 'pro cycling' to me.
  • goonz wrote:
    Beckers62 wrote:

But Smidsy is right ;)

I am a fan of Rapha clothing albeit not the colour scheme they have, but I actually preferred the adidas kit to the new one. Just doesn't ooze 'pro cycling' to me.

I'm the other way round.

Liked the old Sky kit, but am a big fan and purchaser of Rapha kit anyway so when the new style Sky kit came out I was pleased that it had moved from good to looking really good. You of course have to take out of the picture that the pro kit does quite literally cost and arm & a leg on Chinese Ebay anyway.

Good to hear you don't care what the cycling police say - if they do say anything start the age old argument to shave or not to shave then ride off. :lol:
  • goonz wrote:
    Beckers62 wrote:

But Smidsy is right ;)

I'm the other way round.

Liked the old Sky kit, but am a big fan and purchaser of Rapha kit anyway so when the new style Sky kit came out I was pleased that it had moved from good to looking really good. You of course have to take out of the picture that the pro kit does quite literally cost and arm & a leg on Chinese Ebay anyway.

Good to hear you don't care what the cycling police say - if they do say anything start the age old argument to shave or not to shave then ride off. :lol:

Edit: Don't do the shave or not shave question if there are female cyclist around, for some reason you get a whole different response and argument.
  • Some of those are well tasty. Personally I go with pro team stuff, I'd wear my fave footy or RL team shirts so the velo-police can go fcuk.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have Ralph Lauren cycling kit too. (seriously)
  • well my replicas from china do me, good value and the ones ive had are well made.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Wearing football shirts is just showing support for that team. You don't walk around the streets pretending to be David Beckham or whoever the latest football star is.

Wearing pro team kit on the bike is trying to look like the pros, and it just makes you look like rather an idiot.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    declan1 wrote:
    Wearing football shirts is just showing support for that team. You don't walk around the streets pretending to be David Beckham or whoever the latest football star is.

Good point.

Although I would normally say get what you like, its no ones business, I am not sure about full team kit/replica.
    I guess the reason is that getting what you want is being an individual, but riding in team kit is more like pretending you ride for that team.

That said I love cycling and I think its great that this stuff is out there (to buy and see on rides).
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Carbonator wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Good point.

Although I would normally say get what you like, its no ones business, I am not sure about full team kit/replica.
    I guess the reason is that getting what you want is being an individual, but riding in team kit is more like pretending you ride for that team.

That said I love cycling and I think its great that this stuff is out there (to buy and see on rides).
    Why? what's the difference? I don't have any team kit by the way, but if I did if would be the same reason that people where a football kit, to show support and/or because I like the way it looks. Nothing more. Anyone who saw me ride would know that I'm not Bradley Wiggins, just like they could tell that I'm not David Beckham if they saw me play football.
  • I don't wear replica kit but don't care if someone chooses to, it's up to them. If the OP wants a replica kit then let him get one, it's not like he's growing side burns and wearing a replica medal is it.
  • These 'rules' about wearing pro kit are ridiculous. So it's ok to walk down the street wearing a beckham shirt but god forbid you ever sit on your bike with a sky top! I don't have any pro kit but really, who cares if people wear them.
    The whole argument is a sad reflection on how arrogant the cycling community can be sometimes.
  • goonz
    gavbarron wrote:
    I don't wear replica kit but don't care if someone chooses to, it's up to them. If the OP wants a replica kit then let him get one, it's not like he's growing side burns and wearing a replica medal is it.

Don't tempt me! :)
    I have the team sky replica but the yellow version which I think looks brilliant and I look amazing in it but I really want to have some pro quality gear firstly to compare the differences and also as a best piece to wear on races or those special rides. It also shows the support for the team but for me the main reason for wanting a lotto belisol kit is because they are sponsored by adecco, the company I work for.
  • goonz wrote:
    It also shows the support for the team but for me the main reason for wanting a lotto belisol kit is because they are sponsored by adecco, the company I work for.

I hope you're on the company shares scheme or the boss! If not, you're chipping in with some SEO work for them.

I've fancied getting a Garmin Sharp jersey but the prices are rediculous. At least the police will leave me alone.
  • goonz
    I can actually get a decent discount via a corporate discount so not too bad really. Still, I'm happy to wear it. Last Yeats kit was pretty decent not liking the yellow this year.
  • Ahh the good old team kit argument.

I dont see the problem wearing it. If it looks good, and its comfortable. Wear it. The people who make this gear wouldnt make it available for public purchase if they didnt want you wearing it.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Personally I don't wear team kit thats because I'm a bit OCD and worry that after 12 months it will be out of date as they style may change or one of the sponsors changes.

I'm note the sort of person who would make a comment about a fellow rider wearing team kit either. However we live near some pro cycle & tri races & were out one day in a group of about 15 and one guy is in the full on sky replica kit & taking a bit of a ribbing for it but giving it back just as much. Going the other way was Ian Stannard in his genuine team kit & our team guy said he felt a little bit sheepish.

My take on it if you buy the top/shorts you'll soon look out of date & you might have someone ribbing you for it. You go out and buy the bike & the full on kit you look a bit of a tool TBH, but thats no different from a golfer going out and buying all the full copycat style kit it just looks a bit OTT.

But thats only my opinion and I would never have a go at someone if they did, it is after all their money & their choice.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    So it's ok to walk down the street wearing a beckham shirt .

Personally think that anyone over the age of 12 walking around the street in football kit looks a bit daft. As for the team kit argument, its different, the team kit is afterall a cycle jersey, it has 3 pockets on the back, its made of materials for cycling, ergo you shouldn't be ridiculed for wearing it on a BIKE. Fine by me, some of the jerseys look great. Personally, I own 2 jerseys, 1 long sleeve (Pro Bike Kit Own Jersey), and 1 short sleeve (Isle of Skye Whiskey) which tend to look like team inspired jerseys but aren't so popular around my way. Happy medium I think..........
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    To be clear I'm not against people who wear perhaps just a team Sky jersey, but the people who have the entire kit - shorts, jersey, jacket, overshoes, helmet etc.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Wear whatever you're comfortable in. I don't see the problem, I believe its the same as wearing a footie shirt in the park having a kick around. If someone was walking around in a team jersey that would be different...
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    declan1 wrote:
    To be clear I'm not against people who wear perhaps just a team Sky jersey, but the people who have the entire kit - shorts, jersey, jacket, overshoes, helmet etc.

So what if they have the Pinarello as well ?
  • binsted wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

So what if they have the Pinarello as well ?

Think thats what he means as in if its just a shirt OK, but going all in is a bit OTT?
  • If you own the full kit including helmet AND the bike with leccy gears and Sky colour bike. You must have a lot of spare cash kocking around. lol

If money was no option, I would not buy that bike.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I might buy the bike, though I doubt it if money were no option as I think its Fugly. But if I were to buy as a BMC and get all dolled up in the the black/red kit I can chug up a hill looking like Cadel too but would expect a bit of a ribbing off my mates if thats how I turned up looking. :oops:
  • goonz
    No one is saying copy the lot lol, that would be daft but it's nice to support a team. I'd only copy the kit, not the helmet, shoes, socks bike etc.