Typical mileage lifespan of SPD-SL cleats ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited February 2013 in Road general
Im making the transition from spd pedals and shoes to spd-sl pedals and shoes. The new road shoes use the 3 bolt SH11 cleats and Im curious as to how durable those cleats typically are. You could run a marathon using spd shoes with the cleats fitted andIm aware this certainly aint the case with spd-sl`s as the wear rate is considerably faster.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• I think lot's depends on how much walking you do on them. Mine currently are around the 10,000 mile mark and I am about to change them as they are looking pretty worn.
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    They're very good actually, I used one pair for well in excess of 2000 miles, including the Lands End to John O'Groats ride (I mention this as I had to do quite a lot of walking on them whilst doing LEJOG). Whilst they looked rather tatty by the time they were swapped they still worked. The pair I currently have fitted have been in use since Feb last year and are still looking quite good.

From experience SPD-SL is much better than the similar LOOK cleats which I found myself lucky to get 500 miles use from. Another good thing with SPD-SL is that the pedals last for ages, the bearings seem invincible!

I would say though that if you're thinking that you'll be doing a lot of walking in your cycling shoes keep using SPD, as regardless of wear SPD-SL are not easy to walk in.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    4000 miles so far and very few signs of wear. Don't tend to walk in them much, though, usually just a few yards over a hard surface to the road per ride.
  • Raffles wrote:
    Im making the transition from spd pedals and shoes to spd-sl pedals and shoes. The new road shoes use the 3 bolt SH11 cleats and Im curious as to how durable those cleats typically are. You could run a marathon using spd shoes with the cleats fitted andIm aware this certainly aint the case with spd-sl`s as the wear rate is considerably faster.

If you're a fat bloke that walks up hills you will wear them out alot quicker than a proper cyclist
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    They look worn well before they actually need replacing.

I only do minimal (cake stop) walking and I have done 5000 miles and still going strong.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I usually get about 3000~ out of mine. Last ones were so worn that they came out while I was climbing!

TBH, I do do quite a bit of walking in them.

There are cleat protectors available...but I really can't be bothered to faff around with all that. :D
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If you're a fat bloke that walks up hills you will wear them out alot quicker than a proper cyclist
  • Raffles
    TakeTurns wrote:
    I usually get about 3000~ out of mine. Last ones were so worn that they came out while I was climbing!

There are cleat protectors available...but I really can't be bothered to faff around with all that. :D

Really ?

Where do you get road cleat protectors ? When i asked lbs guy he said road cleat protectors werent made :shock:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Brakeless wrote:
    Raffles wrote:

This
  • Raffles wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:

Really ?

Where do you get road cleat protectors ? When i asked lbs guy he said road cleat protectors werent made :shock:

10 seconds on google :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXUSTAR-LOOK- ... 0853338683

They might even be cheap enough for you
  • Raffles
    says they are for look keo cleats, the ones i have are shimano sh11
  • Raffles
    saw those, only available from usa and australia, im trying to source same or similar in uk
  • Anthony has more brains than camp burglar :lol:
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Now...how'd you figure my name out :roll:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    This.

Also if you put site:bikeradar.com into google followed by the topic you want information on you won't have to create a new thread every 10 minutes. :D
  • Raffles
    mqdefault.jpg

Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry

:lol:

d87francis wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    This.

Also if you put site:bikeradar.com into google followed by the topic you want information on you won't have to create a new thread every 10 minutes. :D