Sheds and Shed Alarms

Crawlinguphills
Crawlinguphills Posts: 95
edited February 2013 in Road general
Myself and the other half are about to move house, and the bikes happy existence of living indoors will be coming to an upbrupt end. We were looking to get some advice about what shed to buy to keep them secure, and if shed alarms are a good investment?

I know that by having them outside if someone REALLY wants them and knows they are there they will get them. But is it possible to keep them safely in an alarmed shed?

We have a bout 4 road bikes, so the shed doesnt need to be massive.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Oh dear...read this

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12898610#p18072834

Basically get a ground anchor concreted in and some massive locks.

Better still put the bikes inside and sleep in the shed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As SMIDSY says the other thread is rather extreme but does show what the little arse's will do to knick something.

Ground anchor into concrete base is a good idea, with good chains and locks. Plus is easy enough to fit metal bars to the frame along the bottom edge, up the sides & around the door along the roof line to give it some more strength. If you don't know who to do this yourself, find a local metal workers and ask them but they should be able to knock you something up with some flat bar. Even better if on the door they can put 2 pieces across the inside that link into your external lock, might slow them down a bit if they do get in.

As for the alarm, it does depend on where you live. If your out and its on are there other houses around you and is this likely to get the police called/scare them away from the shed? They are quite cheap to buy and if you also have a PIR activated light in the garden too it might help to scare off an opportunist thief.

If all else fails convince the other half its a good idea to get a 2/3 size loft hatch fitted and board out your attic. Makes a good bike storage area plus you get brownie points for allowing her somewhere to put she shoe boxes, or at least it did in my case.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

• If all else fails convince the other half its a good idea to get a 2/3 size loft hatch fitted and board out your attic. Makes a good bike storage area plus you get brownie points for allowing her somewhere to put she shoe boxes, or at least it did in my case.

the thought of having to take a bike in and out of the loft everytime i fancied a ride would be enough to send me to the beer fridge instead.
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:

If all else fails convince the other half its a good idea to get a 2/3 size loft hatch fitted and board out your attic. Makes a good bike storage area plus you get brownie points for allowing her somewhere to put she shoe boxes, or at least it did in my case.

the thought of having to take a bike in and out of the loft everytime i fancied a ride would be enough to send me to the beer fridge instead.

Well if its your only option & inside is certainly better in a shed - I only suggested it as with a 2/3 sized loft hatch I can get a bike in and out with only the front wheel off, plus with a wood fold down ladder takes no time at all.

Each to their own as they say but it was a cheap & easy option for me :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    That's my shed with the missing roof :(

Since that happened I've spent a lot of time re-enforcing the shed on the inside. Every panel is screwed to another, either using l brackets and massive screws or other ingenious techniques - the roof for example is now braced in a rather ingenious way whereby trying to lever it off will cause it to lift against itself which will hopefully stop it moving

To be honest though, if I was buying new to store bikes outside I'd go for an Asgard insurance approved bike safe. They're about £500-£600, which is only a bit more than a decent shed. Only reason I haven't replaced my shed with one is financial.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • It may also be worth investing in a security shed. This is what I've got - it is very much more sturdy than a standard shed, so you can't just kick a wall or door in. it's got reinforced hinges, the 'windows' are above head hight and are very small so you can't really see or get in that way (although it does look like a machine gun bunker as a result). The roof is also integral so you cant wrench it off, and it's all actually cemented into the base. It's clearly not invincible but you would have to make a helluva racket to actually get in there, which would hopefully wake us or our neighbours up.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Here in Spain a lot of builders use on their sites to store tools and stuff in very small containers. Same as a 40ft and a20ft but they are about 10ft square. If you have the budget and space I would get something like that. Totally secure and weather proof. If you have a look round at used containers a lick of paint it can be very competitively priced against some of the metal shed types but much more secure. Bit more out the box approach can reap rewards. I will get one when I need one for sure. Also doubles as handy shed too as it will be a bit bigger.. The ones here are called bull box or something.