Bicycle alarm on IndieGoGo (Kickstarter)

bikewatch
bikewatch Posts: 9
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Hey guys!

A while ago we wrote here about bicycle alarm which we are developing and some of you really helped by giving suggestions on how to improve it.

Right now we have developed a prototype and are ready to start production, but since tooling and minimum order quantity costs are really high we need your help one last time, for this product to become reality.

To get funding we chose to start crowdfunding campaign at IndieGoGo (similar to Kickstarter) and this is where you can help us. For us to get funded we must reach our funding goal. Please check out our campaign at http://igg.me/at/bikewatch/x/2484832. Absolutely any amount you can spare will be greatly appreciated. Liking and sharing this information will be of great help also. If we don’t reach our funding goal in 45 days, all backers will automatically get full refund from IndieGoGo.

We really appreciate your support.

Best regards,
Kristians Licis

BikeWatch Team
http://bikewatch.me/

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Wouldn't this be easily foiled by undoing the quick release for the seat, lifting it up, then snipping the wire & leaving?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Also, have you checked what happens when you pour a can of water in through the lock?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Wouldn't this be easily foiled by undoing the quick release for the seat, lifting it up, then snipping the wire & leaving?

Cutting the cable would set the alarm off though? Albeit left behind at the scene of the crime, I suppose.

Mind you, the cyclist in the promo vid seems to ride exclusively on (busy city) pavements, so maybe if he had his bike stolen it would be in the general interests of public safety and teh good reputation of the cycling community as a whole.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Do you seriously think that a little box making a loud noise will deter anyone riding off on the bike. Are members of the public supposed to hear the noise and apprehend the thief? The cable could be cut with a sharp pair of side-cutters, the seat post could be removed with QR or Hex-Key.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Wouldn't this be easily foiled by undoing the quick release for the seat, lifting it up, then snipping the wire & leaving?

You can change fixing bolt for special screw which will be included in every BikeWatch box in this way protecting seat from thieves.
    Also, have you checked what happens when you pour a can of water in through the lock?

We have done test and water is not a problem. We poured a bucket of water and are still using the same device for other tests.
    the cyclist in the promo vid seems to ride exclusively on (busy city) pavements

it can't be seen, but there is bikeway and people are just walking on it.

Thank you for questions and interest!
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Do you seriously think that a little box making a loud noise will deter anyone riding off on the bike. Are members of the public supposed to hear the noise and apprehend the thief? The cable could be cut with a sharp pair of side-cutters, the seat post could be removed with QR or Hex-Key.

How many bike thieves are caring around toolbox?

More and more people are using bicycles and they are starting to get more aware and take actions to protect each others bikes. I have seen it myself. In the end - cars are also protected just by loud noise.
  • bikewatch wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

Quite a few... I had the rear light bracket which was screwed onto my rear rack nicked last week. Luckily they left the rest of the bike behind!
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    how about a high voltage version? :lol:
  • jds_1981
    bikewatch wrote:
    You can change fixing bolt for special screw which will be included in every BikeWatch box in this way protecting seat from thieves.
    Sounds reasonable as long as it will be a custom style screw & not a standard torx or something.
    What's your tactic for a thief who has the tool for unscrewing it (if it were to become popular)?

My other concern is it doesn't stop the sort of person who comes along with croppers and a white van. If you've an attachent that size, why not have a proper d-lock style bar extend out of it and back in?

Finally, why buy your device, rather than spending the money on a proper d-lock & £4 on this http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/annoyi ... eft-alarm/
    ?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    bikewatch wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

More and more people are using bicycles and they are starting to get more aware and take actions to protect each others bikes. I have seen it myself. In the end - cars are also protected just by loud noise.

How many bike thieves are carrying around a toolbox? Lots, they steal bikes, it's essentially their job! They'll carry a multi-tool and bolt cutters as a minimum, maybe a scissor jack, quite often they'll carry a spare front or rear wheel to a bike they want to steal that has only had that component secured. It's not kids taking something that is leaning against a fence, it's a massive 'industry'. And yes, cars are protected by loud noise, does that stop them getting stolen? No. I can't remember the last time a car alarm went off and anyone even turned around to look at it. Don't be blind to an obvious flaw and become obsessed with the design aesthetic of the 'lock'.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)