caad8 or allez elite?

jonnyg2210
jonnyg2210 Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
looking at both of these bikes not sure which is the better both at £900. maybe you guys could let me know your experiences of them or maybe you could suggest other bikes in the same price range

p.s. this is a bike to work scheme and must go through Halfords or its partner stores

cheers

Comments

• whatever fits the best. don't look for a bargain but something that inspires confidence.

my guess is allez will be a little smoother but both bikes are very similar builds.
  • what groupset are each of the bikes? will make a huge difference on choice.
  • given the price I assumed they'll both be tiagra spec.
  • that's correct tiagra
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Still using my CAAD8 as a winter bike and it's a great bike. Not that different from my supersix.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Felt Z85 is in that price range with shimano 105 all round!
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    CAAD's from what I have seen are more popular amongst serious cyclists who like a good ol' winter steed. Never see Allez' on the roads which makes me think they're the popular choice among relatively new cyclists who adopt a temporary liking for the sport before giving it up.

Just look how many Allez are on gumtree. Also, my friends who have shown an interest in cycling only know one decent brand and that is Specialized. Every newcomer to the sport seems to want a Specialized Allez. Heck, I made that mistake too but with a Tarmac. Would've much preferred a Cannondale looking back.

Just my 2p
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    If its Halfords why not look at a Boardman Road Comp? SRAM apex with CXP22 mavic wheels. I used to have one, it was a great bike

Oh, and the Brownlee brothers train on them.....
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • IC. wrote:
    If its Halfords why not look at a Boardman Road Comp? SRAM apex with CXP22 mavic wheels. I used to have one, it was a great bike

Oh, and the Brownlee brothers train on them.....

+1. Thats quite a step up in build kit and wheels. worth considering too but can't comment of the frame.