Budget wheels!

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello!

I've been trying to decide what budget wheels to get for the past few weeks.

I have a very small budget. Around £100.

Looking at perhaps Shimano R500s. Anybody have these? If so are they any good?

I would love to get a set of Neuvation M28X Aeros, but I can't find a UK supplier anywhere... :(

Thanks for any input!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• Not the Shimano... they are agricultural
    Stretch it to 150 and get the Planet X AL 30... or talk to a builder for the lowest possible good quality set up... kind of 150 too for 105 hubs on Rigida Chrina
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yeah I agree with Paolo. I have both the R500 and the AL30's. Both seem pretty sturdy but the Planety X have a noticeable zipp about them.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    If they're still available do a Google search for "Miche Mach 1 Versus - they're also 30mm deep like the PX ones and come with 28 spokes front and rear. They're like army tanks but I'd trust them over any of the worst potholes here in Lancashire, plus they're very serviceable with all the parts being available individually.

As long as you don't put heavy tyres on they'll zip along perfectly well, at least until you start hankering after proper deep race wheels :D
  • declan1
    Yeah I agree with Paolo. I have both the R500 and the AL30's. Both seem pretty sturdy but the Planety X have a noticeable zipp about them.

I was looking at the AL30s. Do you think they're worth saving the extra for?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Generally I bow to Ugo's wisdom in matters round and wheel shaped, but you can get the Shim r500s from Ribble for about £70 (altho just noticed out of stock atm) and at that price, I think they're good value. The AL30s are also out of stock and if you are on a proper budget.... The R501s are about £80.

Those Miche ones are £90 at ribble - but I don't know what they're like: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... snawhhr150

Another 10% off with XTRA10 code too - so £82.
  • declan1
    Just noticed I can get the R500s from Merlin for £78. I'm very tempted right now...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What is wrong with the current wheels.

The R500's are not an upgrade of anything (unless its broken, in which case they are only a replacement).

Even at £80 they are still the same agricultural wheels that Ugo pointed out to you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • declan1
    smidsy wrote:
    What is wrong with the current wheels.

The R500's are not an upgrade of anything (unless its broken, in which case they are only a replacement).

Even at £80 they are still the same agricultural wheels that Ugo pointed out to you.

I think the rims on my current wheels are on their way out, plus the hubs seem to be completely beyond repair.

I also want a better looking wheelset. My current (MA-2) doesn't really look right on a modern bike.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• DougL
    DougL Posts: 47