Light but Strong "Occasional" Lock

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for a lock that I can use for long and/or multiday rides that I can use to lock the bike up for 5 minutes whilst I'm nipping into a cafe or cornershop and will defeat the opportunist thief. Cost doesn't really matter I just need it to be slightly lighter than Abus Manhattan D-lock that has given me years of sterling service.

Any ideas?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I just got a very cheap retractable cable lock from Clas Ohlsen for £3.00. Obviously, you could probably cut the cable with a really hard stare but it would be enough to stop someone who took a shine to your bike on the spur of the moment. On our club rides, a lot of people don't lock their bikes at all at the cake stops and whilst at many cafes I think this is a minimal risk, on some I definitely don't like it. So I think that the cheap cable lock (very light and small) will hopefully be enough to make an opportunist ignore mine and pinch someone elses bike instead (and certainly not be able to hop on to it and ride off). They'd need cutters to get through it and if they have cutters, they can probably deal with anything short of a D lock anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yeah - that's broadly my thought though I don't mind paying for exotic materials for that extra peace of mind. It's literally to stop some scrote riding off on it or chucking it in the back of a white van before I can get back outside.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    How about one of these?

ETA The cheaper option is probably lighter as well.