Halfords Rant

Bullet1
Bullet1 Posts: 161
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Having bought my Boardman from Halfords, I've generally been very happy with the limited service I've received from car parts shop.

That is until today! Broke a spoke on Sunday so monday morning 9am and given Halfords was the most convenient place to drop it in as its close to work decided to drop it off there to be replaced and trued rather than my no so convenient LBS.

Was told most likely be ready Tuesday but possibly Wednesday - not a problem
Cost up to £25 - thought it was double what it should be but 'up to' and handed the wheel over by then.

Them received a voicemail at 6.15 this evening (Tue) telling me they didn't gave any spokes in stock so would have to order - can I call them back to let them know if they are to still fix it! This store closes at 6pm so of course no one answers the phone as soon as I called back.

So really pissed off with their shite service and the fact they had my wheel for 2 days before anyone realised they had no spokes.

Not sure if I'm being too harsh but now likely to miss my mid week evening ride!

They are moving as a company from a retailer who sells 'family bikes' to a retailer who sells 'riders bikes' with the addition of the Pinarello range and riding on the wings of the Wiggo effect but still employ spotty teenagers who don't match their goals as a company!

Grr - rant over!

Comments

• gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Just get it back before they make it even worse and go to a real shop!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    And then make sure you have spare wheels at home!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Goes without saying, worst retailer in the UK. It's a proven fact.
  • I quite like them - and to be fair you could have given your custom to any lbs and still had to wait - anyway when you're in need of some cheap bits and bobs for your bike you'll find they come in handy - where else can you buy a water bottle with korky the cat on so readily. :| :evil: :shock: :oops: :!: :x :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Simply terrible!
    I work in a main dealer service department. If i had someones car for more than an hour without checking correct parts are in stock, i'd be in trouble!

Truth is, they hire a bunch of stupid kids with no experience in cars/bikes/customer services and give them next to no training
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    TakeTurns wrote:

When I even intimated that in another thread I was flamed to hell and back.

I tend to agree though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • AFF40N
    AFF40N Posts: 33
    I had a Boardman from Halfords. Had a couple of problems with the rear wheel hub and the BB. They had the bike for 10 days!
    They hadn't ordered the parts, the bike mechanic was off, they had to wait for the new rear wheel etc etc
    I was on the phone every day, e-mails to the branch and head office but it didn't make a difference. They couldn't care less.
    I used them because my bike was in warranty. Never used them before and will only use my lbs in the future
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    smidsy wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:

When I even intimated that in another thread I was flamed to hell and back.

I tend to agree though.

Your reputation goes before you :wink:
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    and you would have let a "spotty teenager" fit a spoke and true the wheel is more scary, maybe you was lucky they had no spokes :-)
  • I could quite easily unleash some very colourful language with regards to Halfords but that would be inappropriate on here! My favourite 'experience' was when they had my bike all day to sort the brakes out and did absolutely nothing to it...but I was grateful that they let me store it in their back room for the day - albeit at a cost.

How do they survive in this tough economic time? There's been some big name high street casualties in recent months/years and yet Halfords seem to saunter on ripping people off and letting them down.

I stay away if I can, because it does seem to have a mysterious magnetic field that draws you in...I find I just have to go in and buy something only to discover it's a pile of poop. Then I kick myself for not learning my lesson!

GRRR!!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Good products, bad shop.
  • smidsy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Your reputation goes before you :wink:

Me?...Ruputation?.....Oh my! :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

It's no different than taking your computer to PC world to get it fixed instead of your LCS. Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do?

Common sense really.

Oh and I bet those 'spotty teenagers' could teach the majority of riders on here a thing or two about maintenance.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You just have to know their limitations and use them for what they do best.
    Would have taken the wheel to an LBS and not mentioned it was from a Boardman :wink:

Am still in shock at what they did to Victoria Pendleton :shock:
  • smidsy
    Bustacapp wrote:
    They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do? Common sense really.

Surely this is not the same person who created Ribble Gate! :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bullet1
    So - went in to collect the wheel this morning..........and it came out minus cassette, skewer, tyre tube etc!

They then spent 15 minutes looking for all the stuff - and brought out the cassette 'it is a 9 speed?' - No a 10 speed, que another 5 minutes looking!

No store manager to speak to - Head Office called and awaiting a call back!
    Bustacapp wrote:

Oh and I bet those 'spotty teenagers' could teach the majority of riders on here a thing or two about maintenance.

I'm sure they could - but no where near as much as most of us could teach them about attitude and customer service!
  • smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do? Common sense really.

Ribble are a mail order company. Lame comparison.
  • Bullet1 wrote:
    I'm sure they could - but no where near as much as most of us could teach them about attitude and customer service!

My experience at Halfords was generally a positive one from the spotty youths.

Perhaps you came across as a bit of a cnut?
  • Bullet1
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Perhaps you came across as a bit of a cnut?

Perhaps he thinks I'm one after venting my disapproval! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bustacapp wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

Quite - people who work for mail order companies have nothing else to do :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

Quite - people who work for mail order companies have nothing else to do :lol:

Halfords have to deal with far more than simply bagging up a few components and stuffing them in a jiffy bag from the comfort of an anonymous warehouse. :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Halfords have to deal with far more than simply bagging up a few components and stuffing them in a jiffy bag from the comfort of an anonymous warehouse. :D

And no doubt they employ far more people to do it but the point is neither employ quite enough to do a spot on, 100% service - hence the prices are pretty low. I think you underestimate the complexity of the Ribble operation - there's more to it than jiffy bags...... :wink:

As to the OP - I can understand people taking a punt on a Boardman or even a basic service at Halfords but Halfords wheel building?! Seriously?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bustacapp wrote:

It's no different than taking your computer to PC world to get it fixed instead of your LCS. Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do?

Common sense really.

Could not agree less with you about last comment. I am glad to hold my hands up and admitt I know cock all about bike maintenance, but from personal experience compared to the Halfords lot I feel like a pro.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Been into local branch a few times recently (which they have just done up).
    They do not seem to have a clue about the bikes or selling them.
    Did not (even the manager) know about British Cycling Discount. BC website say its 10% off everything apart from vouchers.
    If that's the case, has no BC member ever bought anything in there? Even some Auto Glym!
    Will call a couple more branch's to see if they sound a little more competent!

Halfords = McDonalds for Cars (and bikes).
  • Can't fault my local halfords, always helpful and give me the time of day. Unlike my local lbs who know I ain't buying a £3k bike and just loon down on me.
  • smidsy
    edited February 2013
    Carbonator wrote:
    Halfords = McDonalds for Cars (and bikes).

Strangely they are often next to one another on the same retail estates and tend to be frequented by the same clientel too :D

I guess it is hard to see the shortcomings from under all the peaks on their baseball caps innit! :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    My daughter vomited all over the aisle in Halfords once. One "spotty teenager" appeared with a handful of paper towels which I used as best I could. I asked him to get me a mop and bucket but he disappeared and repeatedly announced over the tannoy that assistance was needed in aisle x. Another "spotty teenager" was selling a bike not far away whilst a 3rd was clearly avoiding answering the tannoy by "helping" his mate. When I called over to them they walked off arguing over who it was I had been addressing. Still no help. So at this point we both walked out and left them to it.

So, yes, some good value products but also, a lot of unhelpful staff.
  • I am a great believer in Halfords..........
    Let me qualify that:
    For buying things cheaply and never expecting them to service it or provide any sort of aftersales.

I bought a hybrid for hacking about during the winter....
    You've got to give me some discount....
    knocked about £50 off it.
    Oh I need some mudguards can you chuck them in...
    I'll have to speak to the manager
    Oh I need a rear rack as well.
    Added another £10 to the price.
    Got it home, changed the saddle, pedals and cut about an inch off the bars.
    Happy as Larry!
    only complaint the rim tape was so flimsy the spoke heads were puncturing the inner tube when I inflated the tyres to 90ish psi. Bought another rim tape....Job done.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    That's what happens when a company focuses far too much on maximising profits. It results in a compromise of its workforce. Hence why they have incompetent people earning peanuts working for them or those who want the Jobcentre off their backside.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... store.html
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Bustacapp wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha