Locating my frame number (Focus Cayo)

sancho_uk
sancho_uk Posts: 141
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

Hopefully a very straight forward answer here but i want to ensure the information I supply is correct.

I want to get my new pride and joy insured so if i damage it I am covered etc etc..

To do this i need to supply the frame number.. Not i look on the bottom bracket and there are a few numbers there:

On what appear to be a white sticker there is a S/N and a P/N... I think it was the P/N i supplied to Focus for their online gaurentee..

But I cant help but think these are not the frame numbers as you could simply peel off the information?

Just underneath this there is a clear window embedded into the frame with a couple of rows of numbers:

Row one has a number similar too : G644T95R0211

Row two has a number similar too: FJH452-687RE8-R-JHG

Obviously these are not the actual numbers but just after clarification as to which one of the few numbers is the frame number?

Any helps greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc
Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Maybe ask Focus?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Very helpful Smidsy...

I thought i would drop a quick message here first in case anyone knew.. Being in work giving Focus a quick call might not go down too well.. A quick 2 minute post on a forum on the other hand is no problem..

If no one can shed any light, then obviously my next move would be to "ask Focus"..

Its not like i have posted this question in the "I`m a pro section" is it? :|
  • smidsy
    It amazes me how the increase of the internet seems to come with a 'no option' removal of common sense.

Email Focus then!

It's the Road Beginners section, but surely people can still function in the world. :x
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I would say a lack of common sense would probably be aimed at not knowing what use a "Forum" is actually for...

So i email Focus, who probably knowing normal call centres / company response times won`t get back to me for say 24/48 hours..

or I can come on a Forum (which just to be clear is a Road Bike / Beginners specific forum) filled with bike related questions and for the most part sensible answers. Pretty much the definition of a "Forum" is to seek and share information on a desired subject with the users within.

Had a dropped my message here and someone had answered me within say "24 hours", I am still better off than emailing Focus, I mean lets be honest there are a few Focus owners who reside in these forums so again its not a silly assumption.

In fact I would say my post is the opposite of a lack of common sense and am actually looking for a way to attain the information more quickly than "Emailing Focus", since we have established ringing whilst in the office is a no go.

But again thanks for your input :)
  • smidsy
    Well I have just emailed them so lets see.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Again thanks Smidsy, but just to prove my (common sense) or lack of as you believe.

I actually emailed "WIggle" the company I bought the bike from this morning, but like I have stated was looking for a quick answer so I could get the bike insured asap (dinner hour preferably).

I have just got my email back and have my answer.. Just in case anyone searches for this in future the response i got was:

As the Frame is Carbon fibre they are unable to stamp the Frame number into the bike.. So the numbers on the stickers so indeed represent the frame number.

Lets be honest here anyway Smidsy, even if you get a quick response from Focus all you are doing is disproving my assumption that it would take longer to get an email than it would to receive an answer in a Biking forum. My logic wasnt flawed, it just didnt work out on this occasion.

I will say thanks for emailing "Focus" though even though I think you were doing it more to prove a point than to be helpful. The end result would of been you still would of gotten the answer i wanted so cheers anyway.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Is this all about a serial number?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's the point in putting the frame number on a sticker? If some scrote nicks it he can just remove the sticker.
  • ShutUpLegs
    But who would buy it without a serial number?
  • Its about the Frame number shutuplegs, which I know was on the sticker labelled S/N

The bit that was confusing is like i said there is a window under the bracket with further digits in.. (which in my head would be the logical frame numbers).

Reason being as Keef66 says, if someone takes it whats to stop them simply removing the stickers.. Only thing i can think is there is some super adhesive on said stickers that would damage the frame is removed?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    But who would buy it without a serial number?

Lots of people. Have a look on Ebay and see how many bike sales include photos or details of the serial numbers. Would you send it back and expect your money back if the bike came without a serial number?
  • smidsy
    So here is the reply email from Focus

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

wir bedanken uns für Ihre Anfrage und bestätigen den Eingang in unserem System.

Es wurde die folgende Bearbeitungsnummer erstellt: 2013022710000288

Bitte geben Sie bei weiteren Fragen zu diesem Fall die oben genannte Bearbeitungsnummer an.

Wir werden den Vorgang schnellstmöglich bearbeiten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

WTF! I wrote to them in English and the contact form clearly stated English. :evil:

So all we have now is a reference number and no answer. If they do send an actual clarification of frame numbers I will let you know.

So Sancho it seems you are spotty dog and I am Stig of the dump.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Haha brilliant Smidsy :)

Thanks anyway.. Will see if i can throw it into some sort of transalator and make sense of it..

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut ;)
  • smidsy
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Haha brilliant Smidsy :)

Thanks anyway.. Will see if i can throw it into some sort of transalator and make sense of it..

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut ;)

I know what is says.

Basically just confirming they have received my enquiry and have given me a reference number, They will get onto it as soon as they can.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    I for one cannot wait for the next update.
  • smidsy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I for one cannot wait for the next update.

Judging by their current response time we could rival 15 pages of Ribble Gate before we are done :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    I've just peeled the sn stickers off my mavics. I will email them later to find out where I can locate them.
  • smidsy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I've just peeled the sn stickers off my mavics. I will email them later to find out where I can locate them.

Well one would assume they will still be where ever you left them :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    So at 14.33 today I finally received a response.

Thank you for your e-mail.

The frame number is blanked into the frame. The numbers on the little sticker underneath the down tube are our P/N No. and S/N No. This Numbers are our serial and article numbers.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Derby Cycle Werke GmbH
    Katrin Frilling

So I hope that helps you. Even if it did take sooooo long to get it, :|
    Yellow is the new Black.