Weight Front 850grams, Rear 990 grams without skewers
photo1_zpse6523b1d.jpg
photo22_zpsd700abdf.jpg

Total cost including build and shipping approx £515
Just need to get the bike built up now

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Similar to mine, I went for 28 spoke front and rear. They've been brilliant so far.
  • These have been recently built for me by Ugo :D
    Dura Ace 9000 Hubs on Archetype Rims with DT Swiss Competition Spokes
    32H Front and Rear
    Weight Front 850grams, Rear 990 grams without skewers
    photo1_zpse6523b1d.jpg
    photo22_zpsd700abdf.jpg

Total cost including build and shipping approx £515
    Just need to get the bike built up now

I've seen nowhere near that kind of money... you owe me more then... :lol::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Very nice, the important question is, how much did you tell your missus they cost.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sweet wheels. I almost pressed the button on very similar for my dry bike.

Here are my handbuilts by Ugo currently on the wet bike.

Ambrosio Excel lIght rims.
    Novatec (Ambrosio branded) hubs
    DT Swiss competion spokes 32/32.

8389636853_3b90cd55a9_c_d.jpg

Can we rename this thread the Ugo appreciation society :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So no ones going to say anything about the box of black magic ....? :roll:

Oh and nice wheels
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I used my other set of wheels for a ride last night. They have Dura Ace hubs (think they're 7700's) and they're so smooth and quiet. Much nicer than my noisey Hopes. I reckon you'll be impressed with those.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    itboffin wrote:
    So no ones going to say anything about the box of black magic ....? :roll:

Oh and nice wheels

I was thinking the same. It's another of Soni's Raisins for weight loss photos. Minus the hairy feet.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Am I missing something here?

£515 for wheels that weigh 1840g?
  • smidsy
    edited February 2013
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well according to the figures (based on components used) they should, in theory, be nearer 1600g.

Also Dura Ace hubs account for approx 60% of the cost.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well according to the figures (based on components used) they should, in theory, be nearer 1600g.

Nope, 64 times 8, around 500, hubs are 380, rims are 950... add rim tape... about right
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

That might sound like a con... imagine those spending 70 K on the latest Range Rover, they must feel gutted when they put on the scale... :wink:
  • smidsy
    Nope, 64 times 8, around 500, hubs are 380, rims are 950... add rim tape... about right

Argh, I had not allowed for DT Competition front as well as rear :oops:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:

Argh, I had not allowed for DT Competition front as well as rear :oops:

Yeah, recently I have fitted spokes to front wheels too... :wink:
  • smidsy
    Yeah, recently I have fitted spokes to front wheels too... :wink:

Its a noval concept...not sure it will catch on though - weigh too much :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • petemadoc
    PeteMadoc wrote:

That might sound like a con... imagine those spending 70 K on the latest Range Rover, they must feel gutted when they put on the scale... :wink:

OK so humour me. What's the intended use and what makes them so special.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well, people come in different sizes specifically XS, S,M,L,XL,XXL, I am sure you are aware of that... the beauty of a bespoke product is that we match the product to the size of the customer. We could have built him a set of 20/24 with Revolution spokes instead, but this time we went for reliability.
    As for the price, the OP wanted Dura ACE hubs and he supplied them, as you are aware they cost in excess of 300 pounds per set... the rest is easy... 8)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2013
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I was going to say that your analogy would only work if you were putting MTB wheels on a road bike but then I realised the Range Rover isn't an off roader :lol:

Have to admit I don't understand the choices on this wheel. Obviously, the rider could be heavier (certainly heavier than me) but for 1840g I'd stick with the £100 Campagnolo Khamsins I'm commuting on that are still fine after 8000 miles in all weathers - 5 sets of those would get 40,000 miles on the basis that they fail tomorrow (which seems unlikely!). It's like the old cliche of 'you can have two out of three, price, weight, strength. In this case the OP seems to have only got one out of the three.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have just pulled the trigger on an order... using same Archetype rims but in 20/24 config ( humour me :wink: )
    They'll take about 10 days to get the R45 hubs in and build...
    Estimated weight of mine we calculated at 1460gm but weight was not top factor in my wish list anyways.
    price is to me 100%vfm but is very much OH confidential,

To get to the stage of actually placing an order has taken over 6 months of musing... and saving.
  • smidsy wrote:

Smidsy/Ugo

I really like the look of those wheels, if you don't mind me asking how much for an equivelent set based on a 32 or 34 spoke count as I am 19stone and want something bomb proof.

Cheers gents.
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • petemadoc
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well, people come in different sizes specifically XS, S,M,L,XL,XXL, I am sure you are aware of that... the beauty of a bespoke product is that we match the product to the size of the customer. We could have built him a set of 20/24 with Revolution spokes instead, but this time we went for reliability.
    As for the price, the OP wanted Dura ACE hubs and he supplied them, as you are aware they cost in excess of 300 pounds per set... the rest is easy... 8)

OK so I'm not going to start a new thread on this as there are endless what wheel threads. But hypothetically if I wanted some lightweight, aluminium rims that are nice and stiff for racing and in bad (summer only) weather and on hilly routes what would you recommend and what would be the cost? Will consider low profile tubs, I weigh 60Kg.
  • BigDaddyG wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Smidsy/Ugo

I really like the look of those wheels, if you don't mind me asking how much for an equivelent set based on a 32 or 34 spoke count as I am 19stone and want something bomb proof.

Cheers gents.

I suggest you contact Paul Hewitt in your area.

I used to build a lot of Excellight when I could source them cheap... now I can't so I don't build them anymore as the RRP is too steep for those. Mavic Open PRO are a valid and cheaper alternative, but at your weight Ambrosio Evolution or Ambrosio Balance are an even better one. 34 rims don't exist, you need 36 rear

For the latter rims and a build on Shimano 105 hubs, expect to pay just over 200 pounds, maybe a bit more for the Open PRO. I am sure Paul has no objections to build on those rims or he can offer something equivalent he rates best
  • BigDaddyG wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Smidsy/Ugo

Cheers gents.

I suggest you contact Paul Hewitt in your area.

I used to build a lot of Excellight when I could source them cheap... now I can't so I don't build them anymore as the RRP is too steep for those. Mavic Open PRO are a valid and cheaper alternative, but at your weight Ambrosio Evolution or Ambrosio Balance are an even better one. 34 rims don't exist, you need 36 rear

For the latter rims and a build on Shimano 105 hubs, expect to pay just over 200 pounds, maybe a bit more for the Open PRO. I am sure Paul has no objections to build on those rims or he can offer something equivalent he rates best

Many thanks I will get in touch!!
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

OK so I'm not going to start a new thread on this as there are endless what wheel threads. But hypothetically if I wanted some lightweight, aluminium rims that are nice and stiff for racing and in bad (summer only) weather and on hilly routes what would you recommend and what would be the cost? Will consider low profile tubs, I weigh 60Kg.

See? You are XS, different ball game altogether... :wink:
    For a racing set, no point in spending a lot of money, you might crash them on the first race... some Kinlin rims maybe? Light and reasonably stiff, not the most durable or well built rim, but they do the job flawlessly... 20/24 or 24/28 with the spokes you can afford (DT comp/DT rev) on a set of budget hubs... kind of 200 pounds jobbo...
    If you want tubulars without spending the earth, I use Ambrosio Crono, they are brilliant, only weigh 370 grams each, only come at 28, but they build easily at 1500 grams or under on a set of Novatec 171/172 (Ambrosio) hubs... price would be similar, maybe a bit more. Glue some Vittoria CX on and you can't lose...
  • petemadoc
    Any benefit of using tubs over clinchers on an aluminium rim?
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Any benefit of using tubs over clinchers on an aluminium rim?

There are a few...

1) a tubular rim is much lighter x equal strength or much stronger x equal weight, whichever way you want to see it
    2) If you puncture/tear a glued tubular at speed it won't roll off the rim, giving you control, this is the reason they are used in PRO cycling and why so few riders actually die on Alpine descents
    3) overheating cannot result in tube blow up (see above), it can cause the glue to weaken, but it is a less likely scenario (quite likely with tape though).. Josepa Beloki case comes to mind, although I am not sure that was the reason
    4) tubs look prettier and handle better... especially the first... they look amazing... :wink:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Looking at disc rims for a cross bike that will really only go on road (maybe canal towpath at most). Have been thinking about Archetypes on DT 350 6 bolt hubs with 32 D-Light Sapim spokes. I weigh 13.5 stone. Want something as light as possible but stong and reliable rather than stupid light, MUST NOT be noisy freewheel (as I hate hope etc and prefer shimano silence on my mtb).

Does this sound a reasonable build? Dont really want to spend any more than that. Could go with XT hubs but they are heavier (and alot cheaper though). Sould I get away with less spokes, say 28 or even 24/28?
  • apreading wrote:
    Looking at disc rims for a cross bike that will really only go on road (maybe canal towpath at most). Have been thinking about Archetypes on DT 350 6 bolt hubs with 32 D-Light Sapim spokes. I weigh 13.5 stone. Want something as light as possible but stong and reliable rather than stupid light, MUST NOT be noisy freewheel (as I hate hope etc and prefer shimano silence on my mtb).

Does this sound a reasonable build? Dont really want to spend any more than that. Could go with XT hubs but they are heavier (and alot cheaper though). Sould I get away with less spokes, say 28 or even 24/28?

It is reasonable and 32 is good for disc brakes... the D-light are un-necessarily expensive though... ACI alpina DB are pretty much the same thing and 1/3 of the price. I have had those spokes on my disc wheels for 18 months now with no problem whatsoever... I routinely spec them when people don't want to spend more for Dt or Sapim... I think I have laced around 3,000 ACI spokes over the past 12 months and I have NOT had 1 reported failure yet
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Cool - do you want to PM me with a price for how much you could build a set with ACI spokes please? thanks
  • Personally I think they look boring and are a tad weighty for the price...just my opinion though.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    Personally I think they look boring and are a tad weighty for the price...just my opinion though.

Some weight is necessary, I rate spokes and angular bearings weight as necessary to support 100 Kg, some weight is not... for example I always wonder why we carry around 1.4 Kg of brain if we only use 10% of it apparently... in most cases lobotomy would be more beneficial than a low spoke count... :wink: