Best SS freewheel

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
OK I have a SS commuter bike (not fixed gear) and my current 16t freewheel is clicking and generally a bit poor in performance, its pretty new, its also the same with a 18t from the same brand in this case Dicta. I have read several reports of similar problems and the general consensus is that Dicta are rubbish - my own fault for buying a cheap part.

My question is what are the other options like - I need a 16t screw on freewheel (BMX style) that can be removed with either the 4 prong freewheel nut or any big spanner.

For reference I know White Industries are top drawer but they cost £80 + and I am simply not prepared to spend that sort of cash on a commuter bike.

I have seen Savage and ACS are they any good. I need something that is fit and forget and that does not start clicking after 10 miles.

Cheers

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Savage and ACS are cheap and cheerful. Go for Shimano MX30 for around £25 from the likes of CRC, Wiggle etc. Should last a year or two.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Yeah Whites are expensive but just buy one and forget about it, totally rebuildable and last for ages. I got sick of Dicta's or Shimano's lasting a few months and bought one 2 years back, not touched it since.
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com has them sub £70.