A new bike up to £750

Stodds
Stodds Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking to get into Freeride and Trail MTB and was hoping to get some advice on which bike would be good to get going on. There's loads of threads here for getting started, but my problem is I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a Freeride/Trail bike as I'm coming from a park BMX background and a lot of them seem to be aimed more at XC.

I have a few shops nearby stocking a pretty wide variety of bikes including Cube, Giant, Trek, Orange, Scott and also have an Evans Cycles and of course the dreaded Halfords

So in essence I'd like your recommendations on bikes I should look at or what I should be looking for, as the title suggests budget up to £750 (or there abouts anyway), and of course it doesn't have to be one of the brands or places mentioned above

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why are Halfords 'dreaded'?! You are going to get by far the best bike there for your money. Take a look at the Boardman Comp and Team.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Not to mention the Voodoo Bokor which is better suited to what you want to do

But then again, hellfrauds are shite aren't they :roll:
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    +1 on the Boardman team HT. 120mm Recon Golds with 15mm thru axle, and a 2x10 drivetrain. It usually retails at £850, but there is quite often 'spend and save' offers on the Halfords website that allows you to get it for less.

Thats is assuming you are talking about a HT. You won't really get a decent, brand new Trail full suss for that kind of price. Definitely not a FR bike.

I've seen a few 2011/12 Cube's around on various websites that are going cheap as they are older models. Always keep an eye on the 'Recycled' bikes section on CRC, they sometimes have some bargains appear there.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Stodds wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm looking to get into Freeride and Trail MTB and was hoping to get some advice on which bike would be good to get going on. There's loads of threads here for getting started, but my problem is I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a Freeride/Trail bike as I'm coming from a park BMX background and a lot of them seem to be aimed more at XC.
      weighs the same as a small moon, but in your price bracket
      http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-fr ... ctFeatures
        photo0027g.jpg
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • If you sign up to British Cycling which doesn't cost much at all.. You can get 10% off anything in Halfords.
      • supersonic wrote:
        Why are Halfords 'dreaded'?! You are going to get by far the best bike there for your money. Take a look at the Boardman Comp and Team.

Well I'm sure they aren't all bad, but from what I've heard they're pretty hit and miss on setup, will head down and have a look at the Boardman Comp/Team and the VooDoo :)
        oxocube1 wrote:
        Thats is assuming you are talking about a HT. You won't really get a decent, brand new Trail full suss for that kind of price. Definitely not a FR bike

Yeah will highly likely be a Hardtail unless I can get the bargain of the century on a decent full suss. Thanks for the tip on CRC as well, will have a look and see if I can find anything

Also what are people's thoughts on the Ghost 8000:
        http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64551
      • oxocube1
        oxocube1 Posts: 651
        Stodds wrote:
        Also what are people's thoughts on the Ghost 8000:
        http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64551

The drivetrain is good for that price, but it is let down by the forks. The brakes aren't incredible either but will be better than some of the lower Avid counterparts, and tyres could be better too. Also it only comes in the 44cm (17inch), so that would have to be your size.