Left hand lever for front brake?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited February 2013 in Workshop
After recently recabling my winter bike, it became immediately apparent that the brazed-on cable stops on the frame (Specialized Allez Sport) and the cable entry on the brake calipers are designed for the bike to be used with the US method of cabling i.e. left lever front brake, right lever rear. Having done it the UK way, both cables have to loop back on themselves, rather than having a nice smooth arc as the frame and calipers were designed. For example, the front brake cable comes out from under the bar tape on the RHS of the handlebars, naturally heading to the LHS of the bike; instead of attaching to the cable-stop for the rear caliper on the LHS of the top tube, it has to loop back on itself and then sharply downwards to attach to the top of front caliper. Similarly for the rear cable too.

Do any of you guys use the US-method of cabling on US frames and if so, how easy is it making the switch to levers cabled oppositely?! Not sure it's worth risking using my less-than-deft left hand for the front brake!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,578
    a uk model will have the same frame and calipers, it'll just be cabled uk style

just cable it the way you prefer, it'll be fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    take the bar tape off, undo the bit of insulating tape that is holding the cable to the bar, remove inner cables, change the direction of the outer cables to opposite to what they are at the moment, tape in place, reinsert inner cables and rewind the bar tape, 10 minute job. :D

It is better to have them the way you are used to or in an emergency you will go over the front when you jam on the front brake by mistake!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I built a bike for a mate once, he asked me to make it like an italian flying machine. So i did. He nearly sent himself straight over the handlebars then blamed me :mrgreen: :roll: