hub gear commuter?

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Present bike is 7yr old and has 20k miles on the clock.
I'm tempted to buy a next one, perhaps a commuter with hub gear and disc brake. Commute is 18miles each way.
I have limited experience of hub gear. The LSB confirms they are maintenance free. The only thing that makes me hesitate is repairing after a puncture, seems a slight hassle to remove the back wheel.

How fast and easy is to fix a rear wheel with a hub gear? Of course I'll be i=at the side of the round half way through my commute...

Comments

• Just fit marathon plusses and don't worry about a thing.
  • Pep
    Just fit marathon plusses and don't worry about a thing.
    they get punctures too.
  • It all really depends on what you really want, there is no perfect solution! I run my hub geared bike on marathan plus tyres and have had one puncture in the last three years (13 miles each way commute)Its all about getting the right tool for the job and hub wins hands down in my opinion.
  • Pep
    cheshiren wrote:
    It all really depends on what you really want, there is no perfect solution!
    +1
    Its all about getting the right tool for the job
    +1
    I run my hub geared bike on marathan plus tyres and have had one puncture in the last three years
    Sorry but I will never buy the argument "special tyre saves you from punctures". Eventually, the tyres becomes thinner and less puncture resistant. I also use puncture resistant tyre and occasionally I do get a puncture.
  • DougL
    DougL Posts: 47
    Shimano Alfine hubs are quicker to get off than a derailleur. The cable has a nut that just clips into a slot on the hub and is removed in seconds. Unfortuantely they don't come with a quick release so you will need a 15mm pedal spanner in your bag to loosen the nuts on the axle. The other option is a Rohloff, but that is mighty pricey - quick release and cables are bayonet style connectors. Off in about five seconds.

My bet would be a Scott Sub 10 with a belt drive for zero maintenance. Anything with an Alfine 8 is good though. Avoid the Nexus. The Alfine 11 is also worth considering.
  • Pep
    Dougl,
    Exteemely helpful informative reply.
    Thank you very much.
    Pep
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I commute on a MTB with an Alfine 8 hub in the winter with Marathon Plus and an audax bike with SRAM Apex in the summer. I find it easier to change punctures with the Alfine system than the dérailleur system as I find getting the back wheel off,the chain in the right place, the mudguards realigned and holding the bike stable on my audax to be tricky.

If you use an Alfine hub I'd recommend practising at home first (as it's quite a different approach) and buying this to carry with you: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surly-jethro-tule-multi-tool/
  • Pep
    Jeepie wrote:
    I commute on a MTB with an Alfine 8 hub in the winter with Marathon Plus and an audax bike with SRAM Apex in the summer. I find it easier to change punctures with the Alfine system than the dérailleur system as I find getting the back wheel off,the chain in the right place, the mudguards realigned and holding the bike stable on my audax to be tricky.

If you use an Alfine hub I'd recommend practising at home first (as it's quite a different approach) and buying this to carry with you: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surly-jethro-tule-multi-tool/

Very interesting, thanks.