Tube vs tyre size?

Benjo74
Benjo74 Posts: 67
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just picked up a spare tube for my 29er and noticed that the tyres (Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph) state a measurement of 29 x 2.25, but the tube I bought (Specialized) says 29 x 1.9/2.3.

Is the tube suitable? Im guessing it is good for a tyre between 1.9 and 2.3 and therefore is suitable.
Sorry if its a stupid question, but I don't know and don't want to find out on a muddy track in the middle of nowhere. In the rain.

Thanks
FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. But it makes little difference as tubes will stretch to whatever size.
    Some people use smaller tubes for lightness, others bigger tubes so they stay thicker for strength.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks
    FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    it will be fine as you wont be running full psi in the tyres anyway on muddy tracks for the grip
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As CD says 2.25 falls between 1.9 and 2.3 so you have the right size, but tube size isn't really that crucial as they are stretchy little critters, I and a few others I know use smaller (26 x 1.0-1.5) tubes inside my tyres (2.25), and one friend also uses 29er tubes inside his 36er tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To see, blow one up outside the tyre and see how big you can get it.
    Small children and kittens should be put indoors though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use 26x1.9 - 2.1 tubes in my 2.5" downhill tyres. Saves weight and I haven't had a problem yet. Only one puncture and that involved a torn tyre side wall.
  • I've tried different size inner tubes, doesn't seem to make any difference to punctures. You may as well go for the lightest.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20