J E JAMES?!

williamcope1990
williamcope1990 Posts: 22
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Whats everyone's experience?
They are my local bike store in a sense, however when i rang up for a service they told me that I would have to leave the bike with them for a day, I wouldnt be able to leave it with them before hand and they wouldnt be able to look after it after the service?!
However when i rang Sherwood Pines Cycle shop i was able to leave it with them on the Sunday and pick it up the following Friday and were cheaper to perform a full service.
Have i just caught someone on a bad day?
Or have they become a new Halfords?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So one has more space. And is cheaper. Then use them.
    What does Halfords have to do with anything?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Also, what's a full service? Would require not just labour and oil in my book.
  • Tom4
    Tom4 Posts: 69
    my only experience is an online order, they delivered fast and were the cheapest by far for the part i ordered (Zee rear derailleur)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I no a few shops local to me that don't like to take bikes in early, or hold on to them after the work is done. Speaking to my mate (the owner of one) , it's just because they have a responsibility for the bike whilst on their property. Holding bikes overnight exposes a lot of risk if they were to be burgled...
    If it doesn't suit you, just use another, as you did.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Never used them myself but they are a mates local shop and he reckons repairs and service arent there strong point.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I stopped dealing with the Rotherham service/workshop in 2008.
    I stopped dealing with the Sheffield service/workshop in 2009.
    To say service/repairs isn't their strong point is understating it somewhat :roll:
    I learned to do everything myself,cheaper and I know it's actually been done 8)
  • cooldad wrote:
    So one has more space. And is cheaper. Then use them.
    What does Halfords have to do with anything?

Halfords and large stores don't appear to see customers as future sources of income, they arent that interested in offering a service that prompts repeat custom. Thats what J E James appear to have become.

I didnt know whether or not the different stores have different approaches but it appears not.
  • cooldad
    I tend to agree with ibbo68. DIY - bikes tend to need regular fettling and checking, not a regular service like a car.
    But then none of my bikes have ever been near a shop except when bought.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thats true, what about servicing forks etc do you do that yourself?
  • cooldad
    If it's just seals, wipers or aircan on the shock, yes, pretty simple.
    If it's something more technical, Loco or TF Tuned, but directly - most bike shops send them of to TF or Mojo anyway - they don't do it in house.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Plenty of online vids, the Partools website is really useful (see 'Read this first' below), and even sometimes some useful help on here. Someone has done it before (or hashed it up) and willing to share their experiences.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    JE James is localish for me too, and never seem that bothered.

Sherwood Pines is my local bike shop, just about to splash out on my 2 nd new bike with them. Dale the Mecahnic and Dan the sales man are top guys if you need advise / repair.

Cheers
  • ljs1977 wrote:
    JE James is localish for me too, and never seem that bothered.

Sherwood Pines is my local bike shop, just about to splash out on my 2 nd new bike with them. Dale the Mecahnic and Dan the sales man are top guys if you need advise / repair.

Cheers

Cheers for that, the worse thing is I brought a bike from J E James not so long ago!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Only ever used them for mail order. Good if they're in stock, bad if not, like lots of other mediocre mail order shops.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've never had any trouble with the Rotherham store, the Sheffield one has been hit and miss in the past for me, it's smaller and seems busier a lot of the time. But i don't have my bike serviced by them i try and do as much as possible myself, I've had bits and pieces done by them though, headset cups is the only thing i can remember. I just walked in and it was done in 5 minutes while i stood there.