Cleaning bladder in backpack

garethfox
garethfox Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys can anyone give me some advice in the best way to clean the bladder in me backpack

Thanks
Gareth

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Don't put anything other than water in it since in my experience they cannot be cleaned of sugary residues, which go off and stink to high heaven.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Milton sterilising tablets from Chemists
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wash out after use and put in freezer, no need to worry about any germs, I do this every time, just get it out a couple of hours before you need it :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 on water only and in the freezer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • When you say put it in the freezer with water in how does if work in cleaning the bladder out
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Wash out with warm water after every use and every other time I use 1/2 a Milton sterilising tablet, been doing this for over 3 years and never had any nasties in my bladder :)
    and I do use Zero tablets in the bladder but they are not sweet and sticky
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    garethfox wrote:
    When you say put it in the freezer with water in how does if work in cleaning the bladder out
    Empty it then put it in the freezer.
    It doesn't get gunky, and freezing stops mould forming.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    most importantly, dry it out properly then it won't ming. If too late for that, denture tablets or sodium bicarbonate will help remove grimness and plasticky taste. If it's really serious, a dilute solution of bleach thoroughly rinsed. If you have gunk inside the tube thread a gear cable through and attach a piece of clean rag to the end and drag it back through to clean out the mould or scale.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I just rinse mine through an put it in the freezer, looks as good as new.
  • Milton or supermarket equivalent liquid/tablets whichever. Work a treat. I use squash, those "electrolyte performance additive thingies" or just water.

I has squash in there for at least a month as I forgot to clean it then injury kept me off the bike. Opened it up and nearly threw up from the smell. A couple of soaks in diluted milton and it's as fresh as ever...
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Don't put anything other than water in it since in my experience they cannot be cleaned of sugary residues, which go off and stink to high heaven.
    You're game. Last time I suggested such a thing the slanging match went for three pages.
    According to my profile for a long time my most active topic was from 2 years ago and was also a slagging match about cleaning camelbaks :lol:
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    cyd190468 wrote:
    According to my profile for a long time my most active topic was from 2 years ago and was also a slagging match about cleaning camelbaks :lol:

No need to get the hump.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cheapo denture cleaning tablets from Tesco. 20 for 59p, been using them in my Source bladder for 4 years and its still fresh as a daisy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks guys ive just been washing it out with warm water until the last time i used it i has orange pop in it instead of just water and its made the bladder long a yellow colour and the water doesnt taste the same coming fromin now.

Ive now got a 5 week old baby girl and weve brought some Milton sterilising tablets so ill give those a try
  • I wash mine out with warm soapy water, rinse and put it in the freezer and it works pretty well. Put a bit OCD so once a month I use Milton on a few of the bladders I use. Less worried about the bladder as I have a brush for them but its the tubes that seem to benefit.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Milton sterilising tablets from Chemists
    +1 :D
  • Used Camelbaks for years and always put squash in them, get home good wash out with hot soapy water rinse out leave to air dry no problem at all
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I only use water. Use, rinse, and store in the freezer.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad wrote:

+2 (+ however many +'s in the rest of the thread...)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    +1 for Milton although still might need a lot of rinsing - you can get brushes for cleaning inside water bottles and bladders that help. Don't try and do it in a rush before a ride though (i.e. no time for Milton to work) and poor boiling water in it instead - it melts straight through :p
  • Does it buggery melt through. Every now and again I treat mine to boiling water.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    cooldad wrote:

+2 (+ however many +'s in the rest of the thread...)

This.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mine melted straight through with boiling water, however it was an Osprey bladder not a camelbak one...
  • nferrar wrote:
    Mine melted straight through with boiling water, however it was an Osprey bladder not a camelbak one...

Doesn't melt Camelbaks i use them for wild camping aswell as MTB perfect hot water bottles if it's a cold night.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • nferrar wrote:
    +1 for Milton although still might need a lot of rinsing - you can get brushes for cleaning inside water bottles and bladders that help. Don't try and do it in a rush before a ride though (i.e. no time for Milton to work) and poor boiling water in it instead - it melts straight through :p

Milton takes 10-15 minutes... Leave it soaking while you load the car or something. 15 minutes hardly delays you by much ;-) I do it every time as I always forget the night before.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • garethfox
    garethfox Posts: 43
    Thanks guys

Gareth