Voodoo Hoodoo or Carerra Kraken into Cove Stiffee Fr

jp_lcr
jp_lcr Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

This is my first post after a lot of reading so hope it makes sense. I have £200 in halfords vouchers I have been given as a gift and would like some advice please on buying a new bike.

I'd like to go to trail centres with some of the lads from work and a bit of xc possibly but mostly want to learn to ride properly on a decent starter hardtail. They are all experienced on £2k+ bikes but I have to start somewhere :)

As I'm tied to halfords the obvious choices seem to be either Voodoo Hoodoo or Carrera Kraken which would cost on top of my vouchers 300 or 250 respectively.

So this is where I might get shot down but I can afford maybe 200-300 more so was thinking as I've seem on sale a new Cove Stiffee Fr frame for £200 down from £600 would that be a good move? And would all components transfer across to that frame?

Any advice greatly appreciated:
Am I being daft and just ride them as is?
Is there a better frame in 200-300 range instead of Cove say a Ragley?
Or use the full max £600 on top of vouchers for a better out of box bike at halfords?

Comments

• And thank you in advance for any advice
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Carrera and Voodoo frames are both perfectly good. Your money would be better spent on new forks or wheels rather than a frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1.... No point putting the forks/wheels from either into a Stiffee.

Both are perfectly capable bikes, you'd be better of putting the money into upgrading, decent tyres and pedals are the first things to look at, then the other contact points (saddle and grips) for personal preferance, after that forks/wheels.

For an idea of what can be done to Carrera's check out the links in my sig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • "Or use the full max £600 on top of vouchers for a better out of box bike at halfords?"

yes, if you've got £850 inc vouchers I'd get the Boardman Team (use British Cycling 10% discount or quidco cash back if needs be)
  • Thanks for the thoughts I'm always up for quidco/discounts ideas as well. Looking out for ex display/end of line bits missed a ragley mmmbop custom build on crc and bagger on eBay.

I like your approach in your signature The Beginner, my main hobby last few years was modifying cars but with a 2 year old bikes could be the ever so slightly cheaper option to make something specific to my requirements. Just want to make sure I get a solid base to start from.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dont ever think bike bits are cheaper than car parts. I spent over £1500 just upgrading suspension and wheels on my last bike. I'm trying to save £1300 for a set of (Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo ti) forks for my downhill bike at the moment.
    You could quite easily spend £6k+ on a mountain bike. And then there's the riding holidays...
  • Haha sounds like the slippery slope of modifying cars... Aim is to stick to 600 plus my vouchers initially and if I really get back into it then it'll move into better not tell the wife about that new part she might not notice area
  • jp_lcr
    Ok so I've decided to just get a Kraken or Hoodoo and ride it and enjoy it. Went in local halfords and had a good chat about the 2. Only could have a sit on the Kraken in 18" which felt great very solid foot fit was told Hoodoo has very similar geometry.

So please could someone give me a little steer on which one to go for Hoodoo is £70 extra and the nice bloke in halfords said ridden both its just worth the extra for frame, brake feel and fork feel. I know it's a petty thing but I like the solid look and paint finish on Kraken.

I'm really torn please tell me to sort myself out and pick one :)
  • The Rookie
    The Voodoo frame is no better, the forks are much better, the brakes a bit better, Geo is similar between the 2.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jp_lcr
    Right I've finally done it :) ordered Carrera Kraken effectively for £375 minus £200 vouchers so its cost me £175 out of my pocket.

Figured savings can go towards some crash protection for head/elbows/knees/hands

Thanks for advice all very helpful and kind of reigned me back in after I was getting carried away for a starter trail bike, cheers.
  • The Rookie
    Helmet and gloves are all you'll need for the riding you'd do on a Kraken! get some decent shorts though!