Rear derailleur cable pinch bolt

jamestevens
jamestevens Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi there, first post here on bikeradar.

I've never tried to fix my bikes before but I'm tired of always going to the lbs just for stupid little things and thought it time to start doing as much as possible myself.

I was trying to fix my rear derailleur gear change by looking at how to replace the cable and first thoughts was to tighten the cable up as it's completely slack. Went to loosen pinch bolt on the Ultegra derailleur but it is just solid. I did spray it with some lube/wd type stuff first but it will not budge and I've started to round out the bolt too. Is there any other way to remove pinch bolts or have I potentially fecked the derailleur up now?

cheers
James

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A torq key can work on a damaged allen key bolt. So can a good allen key. If it is seized spray with plus gas it is simply the best penetrating agent. I would use this to free up the bolt and then try again with a good allen key otherwise the bolt will have to be drilled out if round it off completley and the torq does not work.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for the info, very helpful
    Had another go with some more wd40 and a Torx bit and managed to remove it. Are new bolts easy to get hold of from my lbs?

Also the cable will not move at all now I've disconnected it, any ideas as to why it is locked solid?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like the cable housings are full of crud. You'll need to replace the cables and the outers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks. Can anyone help with the tools needed for this sort of job? Obviously some cable cutters, any recommendations?
  • Thanks. Can anyone help with the tools needed for this sort of job? Obviously some cable cutters, any recommendations?

I got these and love them - http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAodhA8AcA search around for best prices
  • Thanks. I've got those on their way as we speak now.

Any advice as to what new cables to get for Shimano 105 series shifters with an Ultegra rear derailleur.