And another one! First 50 miles

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Did the 50 mile course at the Evans sportive at Leeds today. Beats my previous best by 20 miles and over double the climbing :shock:

I though I was doing OK with hills, but these ones were immense! The first 15 miles was pretty good, but after that the long 6% - 10% climbs did my legs in and I was simply glad to make it back to the centre under my own power.

Still, now I know what to expect... and I need to practice hills... a lot more!

http://app.strava.com/activities/42117443#
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done mikey,cracking effort.metric 100 next one the list then.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey41
    One part really made my heart sink so much I was laughing. After a nice downhill from the 2nd drink stop, the route went onto a main road then immediately turned off left.... into a 17% :shock:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Well done mikey41. A great achievement, roll on the. 100 miles . Wish I was at your stage. :)
  • Well done, thats really good going.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Snap ! My 1st 50 as well at Leeds
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    Nice one mate, always feels good when you reach a milestone!
  • Well done - I did my first 50 a few months back and am targetting metric 100 next - still hard to do 50 but I can do it once a week or so but any further is still daunting!
  • I did this one too, I was going for the 30 but when reaching the split point I decided to go for it and do 50. Thought the steep climb near Menwith was going to kill me.
  • Mikey41
    Some tough ones for sure. It wasn't always the gradient, just they went on.. and on... and on. Most of the hills near me are a fraction of that distance, so my legs were jelly at 40 miles. Thank the lord for that 5 mile downhill stretch they included, then I cursed them for that final long climb back to the centre.

I had to stop a few times on some of the climbs, but I was determined to pedal all the way up them and not just walk.

Still, it was great to be riding with others. I ended up tagging along with about 6 different groups in the end as I got left behind on most of the hills. :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • well done! I did a 36 mile this weekend. Need to do my 50 mile soon!

How was the ride apart from the climbs? I had to do a fair few but was worth it with the views at the top 8)
  • Mikey41
    It was really good, well organised and once up at the top, there were great views across the moors. Crossing over the reservoirs was great as you barely saw the lakes until the last second and suddenly, there it was. Most of the roads were very quiet and almost no traffic. Great cycling country.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava