Gear shifters - other way round

Spender
Spender Posts: 87
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if you can get shimano shifters where the right hand shifter changes the front gear and the left shifter changes the rear gears?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope.

why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • One of the kids in our club has mild cerebral palsy and his right side is weak. To gear change he reaches over with his left hand. Changing the shifters may help.
  • nicklouse
    maybe look at some old skool thumb shifters modded to be on the top of the bar?

MTB thumb shifters is what i am thinking.

or even some Shimano flatbar shifters?

think this is going to need some out of the box thinking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
  • Spender wrote:
    One of the kids in our club has mild cerebral palsy and his right side is weak. To gear change he reaches over with his left hand. Changing the shifters may help.

Are these road bike shifters (brifters) or flat bar type?
  • Road bike shifters. I think some of the solutions using mtb ones may be a good solution
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    A very good question.
    I would give Paul West at BC a call. He the disability man. Must have come across this before

Thinking this thru a bit, would a right shifter ,on the left work? I'm thinking not as the left hand would be at wrong angle. A sora with thumbshifter wood do the up shifts. Needs more thought.....
    jc
  • Jim C
    This is wrong end of the ££ scale, but Di2 should work. I ll chip in a tenner if it gets a youngster riding
    jc
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Jim C wrote:
    This is wrong end of the ££ scale, but Di2 should work. I ll chip in a tenner if it gets a youngster riding
    +1. Helping people with special physical demands is the greatest advantage of Electronic shifting IMO. Expensive but you may be able to find some good deals on second hand 10sp since the new 11sp version is coming out. I'm very Surprised Shimano haven't jumped on this opportunity and developed different types of switches to accomodate different disabilities. There is also this option. http://retroshift.com/ Not cheap either and may or may not help his condition but worth checking out.
  • Jim C wrote:

Yeah I'd happily donate a tenner as well. Isn't the best deal on Ultegra Di2 brifter/mechs/battery/cables kit at Bike Discount?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    di2 is a great shout as long as its e-cable and you get the usb kit to go with it so you can swap the controls over.
  • Jim C
    Lets keep this near the top of the list and make this happen for this youngster. Anyone worked out a cost?
    jc
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The simplest/cheapest way would be to mount the left hand shifter inverted on the end of the r/h drop, so you have both shifters on the same side. Both can then be operated by the right hand. Add a plain lever/hood on the l/h side of the bar for stability.

Or the opposite way round, depending on which is the weaker side.
  • Jim C
    Good suggestion
    If its a young rider, they ll want to look like their mates. And a Di2 shifter would be well cool

Not trying to railroad the discussion, and all suggestions could work for someone. So keep em coming......
    jc
  • Sarah Storey has to deal with this. She has Di2 and a modified right brake (the opposite of what's required here).

Apologies, but I searched around for details, but the articles are all a little vague - hence the suggestion to phone BC is a good one.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I meant to get round to phoning bc today but was too busy. The chap in question is new to cycling, he is very strong and is going down to Manchester for a talent day soon. Don't worry about chipping in for di2. If it s the right thing for him we will get it for him.

Luckily for him we have three Bc Paracyclists in our club, but none with his issues, he will get plenty of help from our side.

Once again thanks for the suggestions and offers of support.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Bar end shifters cyclo-cross stylee and plain brake levers is the more affordable solution. If he gets into it then look to electronic shifting.
  • Jim C
    Interested in how this develops

BC are top drawer on Para cycling. Lots of support and advice. And events. They ll help big time.

some folks criticise BC. But they do seem to support stuff like this. Other sports could maybe take note.....
    jc