Have you disassembled Ultegra rear mech?

skinnypunter
skinnypunter Posts: 144
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I need to replace the cage on my rear mech - wanted to know if anyone has done this / has any tips?

Basically, had a rear spoke rip through the wheel rim and it got tangled in the mech and bent the cage. Although I've tried to straighten it, I can't get the jockey wheels aligned well enough to get clean changes. The two side plates are available as spares for less than a 2nd hand mech, which suggests it's not an impossible task?

Comments

• dseddon1
    dseddon1 Posts: 122
    Its 2 hex bolts, I think 3mm ones off the top of my head. Just keep track of which way up they are as it will make it easier for you to put back together and also the washer/bearings may slip through the jockey wheels, itll be worth cleaning them out anyway, just keep track of how they come out. I take my rear mechs apart a fair amount after CX rides to clean out the mud and grit. Deffo sounds cheaper than a new mech.

Dan
    #allaboutthebike
  • Cheers Dan: sounds like that's just aking the jockeys out? Have you ever removed the side plate attached to the derailleur body (on the spring?).
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TVM - it's parts 7 & 10 I'm replacing. Hopefully it won't all unwind in a mess.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Take the little peg out of the cage and let the spring unwind. Note where it goes to. Remove the fixing bolt (part of item 6) and remove cage. remove spring, etc and clean, again taking note of position. Grease all and fit new cage.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I swapped an Ultegra cage from a 6700 mech onto a Dura Ace 7800 body recently and it was straightforward. Just unbolt the broken cage and replace with a new one. There's a spring inside but it's pretty obvious how it fits and works.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Cheers John.T & Maddog. Parts are ordered, so I'll hopefully have it sorted before this w/e's ride.